Differential bolt question

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m151dave
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Differential bolt question

Unread post by m151dave » March 10th, 2008, 12:19 am

Can anybody tell me what size the mounting bolts are for the rear differential on an M151A2?

Thanks...............
Owner - M151A2
Member - MVPA

Founder - The Last Patrol, Vietnam Living History Group
www.lastpatrol.org

Spike
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Spike » March 12th, 2008, 9:11 am

Dave, I tried to find an answer to your question. I own most of the TM's but the bolt sizes are not there. I remember this from when I did mine. I used (on an A1, same differentials) 7/16th grade 8 bolts. I don't recall the length, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out how long they are.
As iron sharpens iron ...

m151dave
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by m151dave » March 12th, 2008, 9:42 am

The reason I was wanting to get the bolt info is that a modification was suggested to me to make changing out the differentials easier.

I have a friend who is very good at the mechanicals on the Mutt who has one he uses for trail riding and such. He welded tabs onto the heads of the differential bolts. The tabs lock in the depression the bolt sits in in the frame channel and this way you do not have to try to fish a wrench in on the top bolt and fight to keep it there while dismounting or mounting the differential. You just put the wrench on the bottom nut instead.

So I was going to get some spare bolts and get them welded up in advance and give it a try.
Owner - M151A2
Member - MVPA

Founder - The Last Patrol, Vietnam Living History Group
www.lastpatrol.org