Wire Harness questions.

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

vtdeucedriver
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Wire Harness questions.

Unread post by vtdeucedriver » March 10th, 2008, 1:48 am

Ok, what kind of work am I looking at to make a A2 harness work with a A1. ????
Jeff
Army Transportation Assoc Vietnam, Associate Member
Vietnam Veterans Assoc, Associate Member
Green Mountain Military Vehicle Club
1968 M52A2
1968 M54A2
1968 M151A1
1964 M151A1
1953 M62
1951 M37
" I am deuceless" Sold them all.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 10th, 2008, 7:20 am

This is fairly common modification as the A1 NOS wiring harnesses dried up years ago. One of the main differences is battery charging circuit in the A2. Since the A2 used an alternator and not a generator, the connectors will be different, because the A1 used an external voltage regulator mounted on the firewall next to the master cylinder fill. Also the A2 with its alternator must have a hot "excitor" wire run to the alternator, this could be used to power the fuel pump, (which is electrical on an A1 and not mechanical as on the A2) which can be routed through the oil pressure safety switch, which is supposed to cut power to the fuel pump in the case of low oil pressure thus killing the motor. There is no such "low oil pressure killing circuit" on an A2. The other main differences are ones involving the different setup of the lights, blinkers and blackouts. The A2 used a composite light that is a little different but should be easy to modify. From what I have read, the hardest part of wiring harness replacement is getting the new wiring harness pulled through the subframe without tearing off any of the connectors. You might want to pull the u clips and remove them before pulling. (Not real sure if you can do that on the factory connectors though) Also might want to pull a couple extra wires in case one ever goes bad or you wish to add something electrical to the rear in the future. If you need help or advice, contact Jeff at FMLV (Front Line Military Vehicles) as he seems to know exactly what must be done and sounds like he has done this before. Another good thing to have when doing this conversion is the wiring diagrams for both the A1 and A2. They are both in the 20 manual. The September 73 version of the 20 covers both the A1 and A2, so it will have both wiring diagrams. If you do not have the manuals, I would recommend getting a set. The 20 and the 20p (parts) manual are the most useful, and I would definitely get hard copies of both. I would also recommend you download the 20 and 20p and the 34part 1 and 2 and the 34p manuals. You can them for free in PDF format from either of the following 2 sites.

http://www.pedros.cz/

http://www.scottie4442.net/mv/mutt/m151doc.html

Good Luck
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by k8icu » March 10th, 2008, 10:35 pm

Are you talking front or rear wire harnes or both? I ask because the rear harnes on the A2 does not have the power wire to the fuel pump. Remember an A2 uses a machanical pump on the block and not the electric in the tank pump that the A1 has and that feed is on the rear harnes. Otherwise what raymond said are the basic differences. Also technically an original A1 would have the turn signal switch wires in the harnes with the mechical blinker box where as the A2 had the solid state arme and box with it's own little harnes.
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....