U-Joints

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

cstaup
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

U-Joints

Unread post by cstaup » March 21st, 2008, 6:08 am

I've seen this info somewhere. What is the civillian version of M151 U-joints? both halfshafts and driveshaft. Thanks

Chris

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 21st, 2008, 6:57 am

The civy u-joint for the axle shafts is TRW 20060. If you need the u-bolts also, use TRW 20701. I have 3 of these my M151. The clips fit just right with no forcing or any slack to wallor around. I found this cross reference by taking an NOS one to a parts store owned by a friend of mine and we miced it and matched it up with a database he has with measurements for TRW u-joints. (Took about 30 to 45 minutes of pouring over a database to find this and he wouldn't have done it except he is a good friend who likes to go for rides in my M151 :D) As for the drive shaft u-joint, there is no good replacement to the military one. On the military one, the 2 bearing caps that fit to the transmission and differential are flanged and have bolt holes that bolt directly into the flanges on the transmission output shaft and differential input shaft. I don't know of any civy bearing cap setup like this. If you were to use a civy replacement, you would have to salvage these 2 flanged bearing caps off the old one and put them on the new. If you must try a civy one, I am told a NAPA 486 will work, but don't know personally if it is a good cross reference, and again, you would have to salvage the flanged bearing caps off the old one.

Raymond
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

lpcoating
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: U-Joints

Unread post by lpcoating » November 2nd, 2019, 9:56 pm

I was reading the post about greasing u joints and the comments about no civilian parts available. I did a search and found this. Is this legit?

Guy
M151 Body Panels - http://www.m151bodypanels.com/

'68 A1 - Under full resto

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » November 2nd, 2019, 10:47 pm

From the threads I've gone through in the past, those are cross-referenced to Precision 429's which are slightly off in ring groove measurement and pretty much the guys in the know always recommend getting the correct ones from a dealer such as Rapco or FLMV.

That being said, I have two sitting here on my desk that I bought several years ago from Rapco in which the identifying marks were ground off. That makes me think either

1) there is a civy replacement out there that meets spec, they are selling them now in place of NOS, and grinding is one way to help stay in business

or

2) They aren't what they say they are and that could possibly lead to a dangerous situation.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » November 3rd, 2019, 6:58 am

hi

if the twr 20060 is the right one see below there are other brands numbers
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/YzUAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg

https://www.northerndrivetrain.com/prod ... 1200X.html

george

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 3rd, 2019, 9:49 am

It has been a long time since I checked this out but the civvy replacements will fit into the cross just fine BUT, They are just a hair to short so when seated against the clips there is too much end play in the joint. This is going from memory so someone would have to get some and check them again but fact of the matter is that there are no known DIRECT replacements.Now, for guys that have the means I am sure you could machine a small spacer that would locate those caps in the right position and keep them centered in the cross.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

acudanut

Unread post by acudanut » November 3rd, 2019, 12:10 pm

There are plenty of Military U-joints still out there for our Mutts. Heck I have 3-4 of these NOS. I bet Fil and Hambone have a dozen of each. Hmmmm
Guys, you know the OP started this thread 13-14 years ago right ?

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » November 3rd, 2019, 2:03 pm

Somebody ought to distill this long thread down into a single post. Then lock it up and put a sticky on it. Very useful info.

Keep in mind that replacement parts for these vehicles is finite. (For your cajuns, that means is has limits.) Some small mountains of parts will surface from time to time. And SOME of those will be stuff that was turned down by the government because they were not up to spec and were shelved, only to be unearthed far later when that has been forgotten. Remember me? I'm the guy that came up with a modern u-joint from a quality manufacturer only to find that the grease jerk fitting was not drilled all the way to the cruciform lubrication passages. (no way to grease it)

So, --it happens.

Cheers,
TJ

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » November 3rd, 2019, 5:31 pm

Historically, Cajuns don't believe in limitations. Takes the fun out of life (but probably accounts for us having one of the highest car insurance rates in the Union and a very busy Wildlife and Fisheries Agency). I know what you mean. It will all dry up eventually.

I remember the u-joint problem. I just don't remember ever seeing the part # for the one you found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7J6Rm7hG24&t :mrgreen:
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » November 3rd, 2019, 7:15 pm

m3a1 wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 2:03 pm
Somebody ought to distill this long thread down into a single post. Then lock it up and put a sticky on it. Very useful info.

Keep in mind that replacement parts for these vehicles is finite. (For your cajuns, that means is has limits.) Some small mountains of parts will surface from time to time. And SOME of those will be stuff that was turned down by the government because they were not up to spec and were shelved, only to be unearthed far later when that has been forgotten. Remember me? I'm the guy that came up with a modern u-joint from a quality manufacturer only to find that the grease jerk fitting was not drilled all the way to the cruciform lubrication passages. (no way to grease it)

So, --it happens.

Cheers,
TJ

Or me, The guy who got a brand new, still in the wrapper, flywheel that had been drilled .015 off to one side. Yup, rejected parts that ended up in a warehouse where someone finds then years later and says, HEY! NOS Flywheels and U-joints!!! I call them NOSR, New Old Stock Rejects.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone