Exhaust bolt????? what now

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

vtdeucedriver
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Exhaust bolt????? what now

Unread post by vtdeucedriver » April 8th, 2008, 10:57 am

If you have followed my carb issue, you will know that I installed a new manifold and gasket kit.

While letting it warm up after figuring out the carb and all my excitement. I watch my aft lower exhaust manifold bolt pop out! I had it torqued as per Kens article which was much better than the kit directions. But when I removed the old one (the fwd lower bolt was broken) I let the bolts soak in mouse milk(even heated the head) but the other 3 broke as well!!!( So I had to drill out all 4 lower bolts and retapped the threads. I have had lots of practice over the years and have gotten really good at it. Well I guess my aft one was not that good cause the flange broke! Any Ideas??? I am thinking for now about a longer bolt with a Nut and lockwasher on the end. I really dont want to start pricing out a head just yet.ImageImage
Jeff
Army Transportation Assoc Vietnam, Associate Member
Vietnam Veterans Assoc, Associate Member
Green Mountain Military Vehicle Club
1968 M52A2
1968 M54A2
1968 M151A1
1964 M151A1
1953 M62
1951 M37
" I am deuceless" Sold them all.

rickf
General
General

Re: Exhaust bolt????? what now

Unread post by rickf » April 8th, 2008, 12:09 pm

Damn Jeff, If it weren't for bad luck you would have none! I don't know what your resourses are, you can do what you said or you can get 1/8" "99" welding rod and preheat the ear and weld in the area, hole included. Then drill and tap for a new bolt. You could try to grind just the broken area and weld a new bridge section in but personally I would grind out the whole side of the ear and weld in the hole plus the bridge.
Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Miltrans
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Exhaust bolt????? what now

Unread post by Miltrans » April 15th, 2008, 8:41 am

Hj Jeff
Know the feeling, just when you think you are going to get going, old Murphy turns up again.
I have seen many attempts to solve just the problem you have encountered.
One of the cheapest ones that actually had worked was a bolt that was welded on to the remains of the flange. Then just add a nut when you assemble it, but tighten carefully.
The option with the loose nut and washer underneath usually comes loose after a short while.
While you have the exhaust manifold off anyway, check the port hole corners for cracks. Also check to see that the tube is circular. ALso check the head surface where the tubular manifold mates. If there has been an exhaust leakage for some time, the surface is most likely pitted and may need to be touched up. Carefull not to go too much oversize or the diameteres wont match. COuld be an idea to use those new gasget things made for this purpose. I remember somthing about that you then need to use 2 sets of intake gasgets, but I am not sure on this.
Here in DK we have made new exhaust manifolds that have rounded corners in the portholes to prevent cracks and a bigger diameter so we can resurface the head and then get a new good fit for the manifold.

We all know that the correct way to solve it is to remove the cylinder head and get it fixed pro style, but I guess your Sirname is not Gates, either.
Chris