This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Restoration Details

Unread post by Rainman » April 24th, 2008, 6:34 pm

Hey all,
Not that I'm close to the finish line with the Kaiser, but wondering just the same, is it possible to dye
webbing straps? Also where do you get the fabric welting used on the early M151's on top of the grille?
While I'm at it, how bout the fabric bumper material used on the top of the windshield to lean the
hood against when it's up? HTN was kind enough to send me a complete gas can strap for the rear of
the Kaiser, but the upper is green, and the lower strap is faded to off white. All this is the old cotton
type, and not the newer style nylon accessories. After all is said and done, it all comes down to details!

Rainman 8)
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

cstaup
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Restoration Details

Unread post by cstaup » April 24th, 2008, 8:47 pm

Cotton will take dye well, but will fade out again (ie, blue jeans). You will probably have to get the "proper" mixture of dye to look right. Follow the instructions, you'll do fine.

BTW any thoughts on a used M416?? :wink:
Last 2Δ Command Group NCOIC

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by k8icu » April 24th, 2008, 10:47 pm

I would try either Beachwood Canvas or Weebee Webbing for the welting used on the top of the grill...I think it's the same for the hood bumpers. You can also get the gas can strap in new canvas from the above also as well as and seat cushions and even a correct 2 window canvas top. Of course you'll have to give some coin for it, but as you said my friend it's in the details.... :)
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....

Jay Mallari
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread post by Jay Mallari » April 25th, 2008, 4:14 am

Rainman wrote:Hey all,
Not that I'm close to the finish line with the Kaiser, but wondering just the same, is it possible to dye
webbing straps? Also where do you get the fabric welting used on the early M151's on top of the grille?
While I'm at it, how bout the fabric bumper material used on the top of the windshield to lean the
hood against when it's up? HTN was kind enough to send me a complete gas can strap for the rear of
the Kaiser, but the upper is green, and the lower strap is faded to off white. All this is the old cotton
type, and not the newer style nylon accessories. After all is said and done, it all comes down to details!

Rainman 8)
I'm not sure what the fabric welting on top of the grill looks like, but try Restoration Specialties. Download their catalogue which is in pdf format and
check the "channel hood lace" on page 111

Jay

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » April 25th, 2008, 8:59 am

Rainman; The grill welt kits are available at RapCo for $17.50.

http://www.rapcoparts.com/18body151.html

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by halftracknut » April 26th, 2008, 7:31 am

Rainman check snyders antique auto (google them) they are in Ohio and carry the grill welt...by the foot.....HTN...
slowest mutt east of the missippi..