Seat belt install.

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Tootallmike
Corporal
Corporal

Seat belt install.

Unread post by Tootallmike » May 14th, 2008, 7:59 am

I thought you might be interested to see my new seat belt installation. I drove the MUTT all last year without belts and had a few frights on bumps and corners so I thought I'd better fit seat belts before I fall out! It's also a requirement for the UK annual MoT test but I fudged the issue last year and got away with it.

The inboard holes were already there so I drilled another pair as far outboard as the wheelarches would allow. I had planned to pick up the crossmember and use long bolts, but the existing holes were just behind it and passed through the top rear flange of the crossmember anyway so they are very solid. Also, mounting using the crossmember would have interfered with the tool box lid. I used large washers underneath and 8.8 bolts with Nylock nuts. They are bolted up tight as there's no need for them to swivel in the application.

The belts came from Wecso Performance in California ($90/pair inc. delivery to UK) and come in a variety of colours including OD and tan. I hoped the tan would turn out lighter to match the MUTT so in retrospect I should have gone with OD to match the other webbing on the vehicle.

I'm pleased with the outcome and it feels much safer on the road.

1943 Ward Lafrance M1A1 heavy wrecker, 1971 M151A2, Land Rovers, CVRTs, several trailers & no spare time for a 'life'.

Homer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Seat belt install.

Unread post by Homer » May 14th, 2008, 8:56 am

Looks authentic. I know through the years there have been mixed opinion about seat belts prior to the ROP. I always refer to the book, The Jeep Part 1 Farewell M151 "MUTT", which shows on page 160 a new M151A1with seat belts in just your locations.

m151dave
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by m151dave » May 14th, 2008, 1:06 pm

Would you mind sending a detail shot of the locking box you have on the hand brake?? Please.
Owner - M151A2
Member - MVPA

Founder - The Last Patrol, Vietnam Living History Group
www.lastpatrol.org

Deserttmutt
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Deserttmutt » May 14th, 2008, 1:51 pm

it was just an idea before that i havent done yet!! thanks for the pics and i might just consider it doing so :D also use a padlock on the passenger seat to safeguard the contents of my toolbox...

-percy-
the LAST 1/4 ton of FUN....

Jetnoise400
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by Jetnoise400 » May 14th, 2008, 4:44 pm

m151dave wrote:Would you mind sending a detail shot of the locking box you have on the hand brake?? Please.
Dave,

Here's another similar style of parking brake lock that I saw on a freshly rebuilt ANG HMMWV... thought you might like to see it as well:
humvee_brakelock.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sean Nichols
MVCC
MVPA #24983
--------------------
'42 IHC FFN-3 Crash Truck (under restoration)
'71 M151A2
'85 M1038

baios
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by baios » May 15th, 2008, 6:39 am

Wow nicwe seat belts!!I also went to wesco site and found it verry interesting!!Hey can u say which one from the site u choosen because i m interesting also to put seat belts to my mutt!!1I also have roll bars and thinking of puting seat belts with 3 points!!
DO NOT GIVE UP!!!
m51A2 Ford 1971
E-Mail vzisimos@yahoo.gr

Ralph Fuller
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Ralph Fuller » May 15th, 2008, 7:20 pm

Hey, Baios: Now that you are married, you have to install seat belts to protect your new bride. Now, you have to start thinking about adding baby seats.....oh, well.
Ralph
1967 M151A1
1967 M151A1
1967 M416
1947 Bantam TC-3 trailer
If The Phone Don't Ring ... You'll Know It's Me
Airborne Ranger CIB Vietnam

Tootallmike
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by Tootallmike » May 16th, 2008, 5:18 am

baios wrote:Wow nicwe seat belts!!I also went to wesco site and found it verry interesting!!Hey can u say which one from the site u choosen because i m interesting also to put seat belts to my mutt!!1I also have roll bars and thinking of puting seat belts with 3 points!!
Hey Baios,

These belts are called LL74 Chrome Buckle Lift lever Lap Belt. Found here: http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/ll60.html

They also do 3-point harnesses and racing harnesses. I thought about a 3-point but they would be messy to install without ROPS or a rollover bar.

The value of the dollar against Euro/Pound makes this sort of purchase really cheap right now!

- Mike
1943 Ward Lafrance M1A1 heavy wrecker, 1971 M151A2, Land Rovers, CVRTs, several trailers & no spare time for a 'life'.

Tootallmike
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by Tootallmike » May 16th, 2008, 5:20 am

m151dave wrote:Would you mind sending a detail shot of the locking box you have on the hand brake?? Please.
Dave,

I'll put this in a new topic as it's interesting to see what different security devices people have installed.

- Mike

baios
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread post by baios » May 17th, 2008, 11:52 am

Ralph Fuller wrote:Hey, Baios: Now that you are married, you have to install seat belts to protect your new bride. Now, you have to start thinking about adding baby seats.....oh, well.

Hmmm baby seats oh yess......hey wife where are u...... 8) 8) 8) 8)
DO NOT GIVE UP!!!
m51A2 Ford 1971
E-Mail vzisimos@yahoo.gr

mrdibbles
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by mrdibbles » May 18th, 2008, 9:44 am

Very nice work Tootallmike. Looks professional and will keep you safe :)
1992 Mercedes-Benz 250GD Wolf - Former German Army
St. Augustine, Florida

salt6
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by salt6 » May 18th, 2008, 11:03 am

Those look just like the seat belts in the Army tracks (M113, M2).
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell
-------------------------------------
"I once was one of those men."

salt6

http://www.mg42.us