This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Turn Signal Failer

Unread post by k8icu » May 14th, 2008, 10:58 pm

Ok...

So my turn signals pooped out last year and I changed the the flasher unit (solid state) and they worked for about 2 hours and then they pooped out. They would work then wouldn't work then work again etc.

So now that I'm trying to get the vehicle ready for a show I find that my turns signals don't work. I pull out the -20 and we do the tests. The control unit works fine, the wiring is fine. Test the flasher unit both are fritz. They don't flash and only put out about 7 volts.

Here's my question. What would make two flasher units fail like that? Could it be a poor ground? Or is there something else I need to be looking at? I don't want to buy another flasher unit, put it in and have it go flop within a few hours.
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....

svramselaar
Major
Major

Re: Turn Signal Failer

Unread post by svramselaar » May 15th, 2008, 5:21 am

hello

you can try this

connect flascher wire`s A and B together if it is only the flascher unit the lights must work (no interrupt )
the c is ground
try the whole system also the warning lights
take a amp meter beween the wire`s and you can see if there is a high amound of amps ( a short circuit)
it must be aboud 2x 21 w = 42 watt 42 watt/24volt = aboud 2 amps incl control bulb
the warning lights use 4 time`s 21 watt is aboud 4 amps
dit you put a new bulb in bevore the problem ( maybe a wrong one )??
work the stoplights correct (they use the same wire`s to the back )

george

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: Turn Signal Failer

Unread post by k8icu » May 15th, 2008, 8:58 am

Did all that and it is defently the flasher box that is bad. The control arm is good, I have brake lights no problem. No shorts in the wire and no amperage problems.

My gut feeling is the ground wire on pin C was not the best and I have a feeling that it has or had intermittent problems....but that is just my gut feeling. I'm hoping to pic up a new flasher this weekend.
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....