Bastardized Rewelded A-1

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Bastardized Rewelded A-1

Unread post by Cobra5 » June 3rd, 2008, 9:51 am

Okay I'm in search of info. One of the two A-1's I bought was a reweld. No big deal I already knew this when I bought them. Anyway after looking through this one I found it to have a horn dated 1966, an A-2 engine, the oil pressure cut out switch connector is still attached to the wiring harness just dangling. The vaccum pump is still in place where the mechanical fuel pump would be on the A-2. Still has the fuel pump in the tank. The hood number is 2R7850 which Ken says should have a delivery date of 1968. If this is the case than the hood isn't original to the vehicle.
Okay here are my questions. The back half of this reweld has the rear seat fame mounted in brackets oppossed to a free standing seat frame as in the A-2's. Is this correct for this year A-1? Also the emergency brake lever is the push button type. What year did it change to the non push button type? My uncut 67 has the non push button type.

Thanks!
Tim

Spike
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Bastardized Rewelded A-1

Unread post by Spike » June 3rd, 2008, 10:43 am

Sounds like it could be a hodge-podge collection of parts. A horn could be explained, anything electronic can fail and be replaced with a "spare."
The A2 engines seemed to be plentiful, so that is not a surprise that someone dropped one in somewhere along the way. Sounds like you have a good working hypotheses going, it will be fun to see the correlation between the parts.

The horn button wire normally has a date on it. I assume there were no other ID plates or data plates. Any bumper markings?
What year did it change to the non push button type?

The push button, ratchet-style hand brake was used between 1960 and 1964.

Does the hood have three chevron ribs?

Does the rear suspension have single or double rubber bumpers?

The A2 rear seat has support legs, the A1 does not.
As iron sharpens iron ...

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » June 3rd, 2008, 11:02 am

This was the guys daily driver. No data plates on either of these. The hood has two cheverons. I'll have to check the rear suspension. The other A-1 has the self supporting rear seat. So is it suppose to have the bracket type? Looks like the bastardized A-1 may turn into a parts vehicle for the uncut.

salt6
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by salt6 » June 3rd, 2008, 8:00 pm

My '65 has the push button hand brake.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell
-------------------------------------
"I once was one of those men."

salt6

http://www.mg42.us

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by k8icu » June 3rd, 2008, 10:14 pm

The A1 seats had a bracket to hold the seat in place. The A2 has the legs on the seat.
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....