Dash Gauge PROBLEMS-oil press; fuel level

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

daninnm
Private First Class
Private First Class

Dash Gauge PROBLEMS-oil press; fuel level

Unread post by daninnm » June 11th, 2008, 7:02 pm

I have all new gauges and a new wiring harness in the A2 upgraded M151A1......oil pressure gauge pegs and bounces around at the top of the scale all the time. Never settles down. Have orignal Oil Pressure sender and new gauge.
Also, have a gas gauge that reads 1/8 of a tank where the tank is full to the brim. Reads less than ZERO when the tank has 1/4 of a tank!!!

Thoughts or suggestions on how to fix or trobleshoot?

Dan in NM
505-269-2056

Also, looking for speaker extension cord....my speaker cord ends about 2 feet short of the front edge of the radio with the speaker on the dash in the two holes that were drilled there for the speaker......what is the number of the extension cord - where can I get one?

Also, Also, need mounting kit for the R442 - have the radio base - need the bracket that mounts the base to the fender

Dan in NM

mrdibbles
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Dash Gauge PROBLEMS-oil press; fuel level

Unread post by mrdibbles » June 11th, 2008, 7:23 pm

Hey Dan-
I can't help with the other stuff but I can refer you to a guy I bought an R-422 sponson off of. I dealt with Tony, aka jelloboy on the G503, to buy the sponson. His personal e-mail address is tmsurplus@adelphia.net but he responds better to PMs off the G503. He also has a great deal of radio gear at reasonable prices so if you have other needs talk to him. He may have the cable you need for the speaker as well.
Regards,
Matt-
1992 Mercedes-Benz 250GD Wolf - Former German Army
St. Augustine, Florida

Tootallmike
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by Tootallmike » June 11th, 2008, 7:28 pm

Hi,

If the pressure gauge is not original it may be the wrong type. Someone will be along soon to tell you what range the MUTT one should have.

The fuel gauge can be dealt with by carefully extracting the sender unit from the tank and bending the float arm until the desired effect is obtained. I understand the gauges and senders are notoriously crap so it's probably best to just open the filler cap once in a while and look at the level rather than relying on the gauge :D .

- Mike
1943 Ward Lafrance M1A1 heavy wrecker, 1971 M151A2, Land Rovers, CVRTs, several trailers & no spare time for a 'life'.

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by k8icu » June 11th, 2008, 10:16 pm

If I understand you correctly you put new gauges in a M151A1 that has been upgraded in some ways to the A2 and the new gauges are not working. The 151A2 has a grounding wire attached to the guarge panel. Try getting a good ground on your guage panel and see if that makes a difference.
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » June 11th, 2008, 11:26 pm

Dan,

A lot of the gauge problems are related to bad grounding. The fuel tank sensor is prone to give erratic readings if the truck is not used very often. Reason is the way it gets its grounding. If the truck sits a long period of time, the little pin holding the movable arm corrodes a little bit and then when it moves will only give intermitten grounding to the fuel sender housing. Find in the wiki an easy fix to that problem. I would remove the few screws holding the sender in the tank, remove it and manually move the arm with the float from stop to stop and see if you get a corresponding reading on your fuel gauge. Of course you have to clip a grounding wire from the sender housing to any point on the body while doing that test. As you have the sender removed already, solder this supporting ground wire on the sender as described in the wiki.

Regards
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

simey
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by simey » June 12th, 2008, 3:37 am

I had the same issues too, seems very common. My fuel gauge bounces a lot, I just keep the jerry can topped up! My oil pressure gauge stopped working for a while, but the mechanic fixed that although broke the speedo. I have checked around and most people suggest that it's the grounding, so I plan to take the panel off someday and have a look at the back of it. Advantage for me is that I never go very fast so the speedo doesn't matter, and never go very far so the fuel isn't either!