Clutch slip/Engine back in!!

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Clutch slip/Engine back in!!

Unread post by whiterabbit » August 5th, 2014, 5:16 pm

Well I fixed the overheat issue I was having, now the clutch slips a bit. :roll:
New head gasket(old one was fine), recleaned carb, put in a few more degrees of advance in the timing and it runs like a scalded hog and the temp stays at 180! The down side is the clutch wants to slip a bit when I shift into 4th at 40mph and nail it. :(
All I see is the puck style discs for sale, they are for the A2 right? I'm going to cheap out and probably reuse the pressure plate if I can. Good or bad idea?
Thanks all,
Last edited by whiterabbit on September 10th, 2014, 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen. George Patton

1986-2014 Ordnance Corps RETIRED!
XVIII Airborne Corps Combat Affiliation
Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1978 exMOD 109 Land Rover S3 (sold)
1942 WLA
M274 (sold) Big mistake. Sigh....

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Clutch slip. Ugh.....

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » August 5th, 2014, 6:59 pm

I got my last fiber clutch disk from Red River Parts & Equipment Co. in New Boston TX; you need to call and ask for Blake Callaway, Tel. : 903-547-2226 He likes to have the part #, it is 8712372 the NSN is 2520-00-150-7404 This was in 2010 and the total with shiping was 43.xx Let him know you are a member of the g838.org M151 site. :)

1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl
US Army 6 years 2nd Armored Cavalry Bindlach Germany
Colorado Army Nat. Guard 5 years
Md Air Guard 15 years active duty on C-130's

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » August 6th, 2014, 2:24 am

hi

see below for the fiber disk
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/new-Disc-Clutch- ... 2582fe9795

with a puck disk the flywheel and the pressure plate must be resurfaced
the pucks make groove`s at the parts

george

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by whiterabbit » August 6th, 2014, 9:26 am

Thanks guys! :D
I'll get the plate and do the trans input and rear main seal and baby the thing till it cools down a bit. It's been a hot summer.
I guess the motor pool mechanic reused the original clutch when they put in the replacement engine. The engine is like new inside, it still had cross hatch pattern on the cylinders!
On the plus side it has a nice steering wheel now! :wink:
"It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen. George Patton

Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1942 WLA

HILLBILLY-06
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » August 6th, 2014, 10:55 am

whiterabbit wrote:Thanks guys! :D
I'll get the plate and do the trans input and rear main seal and baby the thing till it cools down a bit. It's been a hot summer.
I guess the motor pool mechanic reused the original clutch when they put in the replacement engine. The engine is like new inside, it still had cross hatch pattern on the cylinders!
On the plus side it has a nice steering wheel now! :wink:
I think the same thing happened to me when the previous owner "said" it had a new transmission, and even if it does, there is either no spring or a worn spring, on the reverse side of the shifter, and of coarse a very worn clutch. "I can't believe" that anyone would go through the trouble to replace a transmission and not put a new clutch in it. I hate when that happens. That is why I aint in a hurry to yank mine back out, cause I am gonna have to wait till the funds will allow to be sure I can get all the right stuff done when it is apart and out of the vehicle. I hope your project turns out to be awesome when you are done.
"FAMOUS LAST WORDS".... "HEY YA'LL, WATCH THIS"

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 6th, 2014, 12:04 pm

I have put clutches back in many times, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If a vehicle is driven reasonably and correctly the clutch will last the life of the vehicle unless you are going off road a LOT. I had a 70 Bronco that was in the mud every weekend plus I put 160,000 miles on it. Same clutch! Keep it adjusted and do not slip it when starting any more than necessary.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by whiterabbit » August 6th, 2014, 12:21 pm

Yea, I've gotten alot of miles from a properly set up clutch. Maybe from setting for 12+ years there is rust on the flywheel or oil from a leaking seal? I'm going to run it for a few months and see if it gets worse or gets better. :lol:

Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1942 WLA

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » August 6th, 2014, 1:01 pm

How is the free play? Rust on the flywheel will do it. It will glaze over, might start to chatter. Is it a fiber disc or puck?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by whiterabbit » August 6th, 2014, 6:08 pm

No chatter at all, just slipping when under full throttle. You can hear the rpm's rise and the speed drop just a hair.
Beats me on what kind'a disk is in there. :lol: Guess I could crawl under it and try to find out. I need to read the TM to check the clutch adjustment to make sure it is fully engaging.
I know it had or has a leak under there. The trans and xfer were covered in old oil when I got it. I did replace the front xfer output seal. That was a pain! :x I wonder if the rear main or trans input seals craped out and are oiling the clutch. Been trying to put 50 miles a day on it to find the bugs. Darn radiator sprung a leak or two on the last run today. Time to break out the solder, torch and soapy water!

Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1942 WLA

HILLBILLY-06

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » August 6th, 2014, 7:09 pm

whiterabbit wrote:No chatter at all, just slipping when under full throttle. You can hear the rpm's rise and the speed drop just a hair.
Beats me on what kind'a disk is in there. :lol: Guess I could crawl under it and try to find out. I need to read the TM to check the clutch adjustment to make sure it is fully engaging.
I know it had or has a leak under there. The trans and xfer were covered in old oil when I got it. I did replace the front xfer output seal. That was a pain! :x I wonder if the rear main or trans input seals craped out and are oiling the clutch. Been trying to put 50 miles a day on it to find the bugs. Darn radiator sprung a leak or two on the last run today. Time to break out the solder, torch and soapy water!
I also got a leak somewhere in that area myself. I noticed it because of the way my M151 marks it's territory. I crawled under mine and removed the dust-cover, well slid it over a little out of the way anyhow, I couldn't get it completely out without taking other stuff off. I have a drip that comes out of one of the holes in my dust cover. Not a bad one, but enough I can see it once in a while. One hole has a plug in it, the other don't and that is where it drips. I also think it is possible that perhaps some oil has gotten on my clutch, but as near as I can tell, my clutch looks thin to me. I know they aren't very thick to begin with, but even if it has gotten oil on it, I can't do anything about it until I pull it all out to look, and I won't do that yet till I can afford to do all I possibly can while it is out.

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by whiterabbit » August 6th, 2014, 9:11 pm

The dust cover has the drain hole and the other is actually a holder for that plug, that's all. You're supposed to stop at the river, crawl under the truck and move that plug from it's "holder" to the bottom drainage hole next to it. Once you cross the river you crawl back under your dripping wet muddy truck in the mud and remove the plug and put it back into its holder. Yea........
:lol:

Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1942 WLA

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 9th, 2014, 9:53 am

I know this an old thread and my experience with the M151 is limited but I've got to ask about this clutch diagnosis if only for my own knowledge.

If the clutch is (was) really slipping and you say this manifests itself while moving in 4th as a rise and fall in RPMs then it seems to me it should also show the same signs (if not even more so) while you are in other gears yet, you didn't mention that.

Have you spent time traveling in other gears in an attempt to recreate the rise and fall in RPMs? Seems to me if it's only showing in one gear that would be an indication of this as being another problem such as fuel flow or ignition timing and it would be a helluva thing to go to all the trouble to R&R the clutch disc only to find it was something else that was much easier to solve.

………..or am I wrong?

HILLBILLY-06

Unread post by HILLBILLY-06 » August 9th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Well I know it sounds weird, but that's my symptoms in a nut shell. Sound's like the OP's as well. And I did have it happen one time in 3rd when I showered it to the floor while climbing a hill. I didn't really notice it until I eased off my throttle, then my RPM's really went down a great bit, as if it had "linked up good" or something. Which is what I was noticing in 4th Gear on the same hill. I have not had it ever do that in 1st or 2nd Gear at all, only 4th Gear except that one time I managed to make it happen in 3rd kind of on purpose. I really was trying to see if I could duplicate the problem in all other gears, but wasn't able to.
I haven't taken anymore time with it lately, but you have given me some new approach things to think about now. I hope the OP don't mind my chiming in here on his post, it just sounds so similar to the issue I am having.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 9th, 2014, 5:19 pm

So the common point seems to be this takes place at higher RPMs?

m151dave
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by m151dave » August 9th, 2014, 7:16 pm

I am having the same problem with my A2. I have the puck type disc and I did not reface the flywheel.
Owner - M151A2
Member - MVPA

Founder - The Last Patrol, Vietnam Living History Group
www.lastpatrol.org