knocking in rear end?

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

JasonB
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

knocking in rear end?

Unread post by JasonB » September 17th, 2015, 8:47 pm

so now the mutt is up and running, wheel bearings re torqued, suspension bolts checked and tightened. I have a strange bang/knock like someone banging a hollow pipe while driving over "rough" terrain. Its not all of the time only when putting torque on the suspension/body.
I jacked up the back end and checked the lash of the rear diff/transfer but it doesn't seem like a lot of free play. I'm not sure how much is to much to be honest.
Did notice that the under carriage is dirty/muddy as all get out and there is old mud sitting in the cups for the coils.
Maybe a rusted metal on metal contact and its a spring shifting? or a bushing that looks good for the shock but is hollow letting the shock slide back and forth??
Jason
Grease and bloody knuckles!

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: knocking in rear end?

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » September 17th, 2015, 9:41 pm

Check the bushings in the rear swing arms and the shocks.

1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl
US Army 6 years 2nd Armored Cavalry Bindlach Germany
Colorado Army Nat. Guard 5 years
Md Air Guard 15 years active duty on C-130's

JasonB
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by JasonB » September 17th, 2015, 10:40 pm

whats the easiest way to drop them out?
im thinking jack up the whole backend, put a jack under the swingarm and take the pressure off of the lower shock bolt and swingarm then let the jack back down? holding the spring so it wont fall out?
anyone know where I can get just the bushings for the shocks?
Jason

JasonB
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by JasonB » September 19th, 2015, 10:46 pm

Mr. Recovery wrote:Check the bushings in the rear swing arms and the shocks.

well went to check the bushings today and there "good" but the shocks are blown :lol: :lol: pretty sure that your not suppose to be able to collapse the shock with about 4 lbs of pressure. Also shouldn't the shock decompress by its self or is this to old of a shock to have a spring in it??
Jason

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 20th, 2015, 9:46 am

None of the shocks have springs in them but newer gas shocks have gas pressure in them that pushes them back up. You are correct, these are good old fashioned shocks, no gas or springs.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » September 20th, 2015, 2:31 pm

JasonB wrote: well went to check the bushings today and there "good" but the shocks are blown pretty sure that your not suppose to be able to collapse the shock with about 4 lbs of pressure.
Jason,
your shocks may be fine. The shocks will compress easily.....it's the rebound action that you need to check.
Here's how to do a quick test.
1. Remove a rear shock.
2. Slide a 12" metal bar through the lower bushing of the shock and a similar bar through the upper bushing.
3. Stand on the lower bar, one foot either side of the bushing.
4. Grab hold of the upper bar with both hands.
5. Push down to compress the shock. It should go down smooth and easy. If it grinds or binds, there's something wrong with it.
6. Now with your feet still in place on the lower bar, attempt to pull upwards on the upper bar. It should take some real effort. If you can expand the shock easily, it's done for. Get new ones. If it takes a good effort to expand, it is still good.
7. Repeat the test on the other shock. If you have to use about the same amount of exertion to expand both shocks, they're both good.

Unfortunately there's nothing in the TM that states exactly how much force is within specs.
Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 20th, 2015, 8:11 pm

Ken, The shocks should have equal resistance both up and down unless they are some special build and I am pretty sure they are not.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

JasonB
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by JasonB » September 20th, 2015, 8:15 pm

Ken
Thanks for the input, one shock is blown (not leaking oil) but very little effort to move plunger in and out, the other has a "ding" in the chamber and will not let the piston's disc go past and is locked when it gets caught on that spot.

ordering new ones for the most part because the shocks that are on it now are probably from manufacturing and have a lot of wear and tear on them. Just waiting for a call back from Red River to decide if I am going to order from them or from another supplier (which ever is cheapest).
Jason

eflexter
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by eflexter » September 21st, 2015, 9:33 am

Beware, some of the companies with the low price have a super high shipping and handling charge!! They get you one way or the other.
1967 M151A1

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by halftracknut » September 21st, 2015, 12:58 pm

I called the company on the shock and NO Help....I found a good used one.....good luck....and if you find one that fits ...Please Please post the maker and part number.....
slowest mutt east of the missippi..

muttguru
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by muttguru » September 21st, 2015, 2:59 pm

rickf wrote:Ken, The shocks should have equal resistance both up and down unless they are some special build and I am pretty sure they are not.
Rick, so I've been wrong all this time, eh. I must have been sold nothing but faulty shocks for years........... :D

Ken
Kind regards....
Ken

Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Contact address - - muttguru@aol.com

Note for 2023..... Ken..."Less Stress - More Exercise!"

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 21st, 2015, 3:15 pm

halftracknut wrote:I called the company on the shock and NO Help....I found a good used one.....good luck....and if you find one that fits ...Please Please post the maker and part number.....
Is this for A1 or A2?
Did they become rare again? I know the A2 shocks were impossible to find for the longest time and then all of a sudden the market was flooded with them. Never knew the A1 shocks to be hard to find unless that has just started.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 21st, 2015, 3:22 pm

muttguru wrote:
rickf wrote:Ken, The shocks should have equal resistance both up and down unless they are some special build and I am pretty sure they are not.
Rick, so I've been wrong all this time, eh. I must have been sold nothing but faulty shocks for years........... :D

Ken
Well Ken, I don't know what to tell you. All shocks have high resistance when compressing since that is the most violent force when driving. That is when you hit something or when you go into a dip you have the inertia of the whole vehicle to slow. On the rebound all you have is the unsprung weight to control. In racing they use what we used to call 80-20 or 90-10 shocks, where they had 90% force in compression and only 10% on extension. The reason for this was for use on the front of a vehicle to get the front up in the air quickly so as to transfer all the weight to the rear tires.

Newer shocks have multistage valving that adjust to the velocity of movement and adds resistance as needed.

Oh, And those shocks you have been buying? Were they made by Lucas? the same people that make the fantastic English electrical systems? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » September 21st, 2015, 8:11 pm

Lucas shocks :?: :shock: :roll: :P :lol:
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by halftracknut » September 21st, 2015, 9:44 pm

I don't think the shocks will be the fix....I vote trailing arm bushings or brackets or tail pipe or rear hitch...these things were made to rattle and knock
slowest mutt east of the missippi..