This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

colkking
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: WTB: Voltage Regulator cable...

Unread post by colkking » December 7th, 2015, 9:08 pm

Yup, it is an A2 wiring harness...
ok, so my (one o many ignorant) question for the night: if I swapped out the end of the number 5 wire from a flat end to the 4-prong end, would that be the only thing that would need to be done, and would the harness work?
yeah, i had to repeat a couple of grades when it comes to sparky things....

rickf
General
General

Re: WTB: Voltage Regulator cable...

Unread post by rickf » December 8th, 2015, 10:15 am

You can modify an A2 harness to retrofit back to a 25 amp generator but why? It is a big downgrade. It is not as easy as just changing a wire end, the 60 amp system is actually and alternator and not a generator where the 25 amp system is a generator. The 60 amp system has a built in regulator and the there should be three wires going down there to where your generator is, one large wire out of the harness which is directly to the battery by way of the starter switch, one 16 gauge field wire coming from the ignition switch and one large ground wire going to the body. On a generator 25 amp system you would have the interconnect cable from the generator to the regulator and at the regulator you have the battery wire coming in from the starter switch. You "Should" be able to adapt that battery wire to the plug that Fil has available to plug into the 25 amp voltage regulator. Give me a bit to get into the correct wiring diagram to be sure I am giving you the exact right info but that should be right.

You would have to tape off the current field wire since it should be hot whenever the key is on.

Verified my info, %3 battery wire to "A" terminal on the four way plug to the voltage regulator.
Here is a clear diagram that you can use for the charging system, it is from an older straight 151 without turn signals but that cleans up some of the wiring you are not dealing with right now. My other diagrams are not a clean looking.
http://www.g838.org/g838_manuals/TM%209 ... 0jul60.pdf
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone