Running a 12 volt light on a 24 volt system??

This is the place to get help with technical matters concerning your M151 jeep

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

kb0jyl
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Running a 12 volt light on a 24 volt system??

Unread post by kb0jyl » September 23rd, 2008, 4:06 pm

Baios, makes sense, as the winch draws a whole lot more power than a revolving light, thus drawing the volatage way down on the one battery. It will do the same in a 12 volt system with only one battery. When using heavy duty items, you to make sure your batteries have a whole lot of extra amps. I would also guess that you are going to need a very large invertor to run the winch, and I imagine that will run into the big dollars. I have winches on my plow truck as well as a dump bed, and I have to keep the biggest battery I can get into the battery box or else it will go dead. There is no perfect answer as there are so many variables in each persons set up. What works for one person may not work for the next one.

I also use car batteries as a back up for my ham radio station, and I have to make sure not to run any one battery down to far or else it will not charge back up.

Just my 1.5 cents worth again.
Steve
Just follow the yellow brick road........

1967 Kaiser M725 (New project)
1972 Pontiac LeMans luxury Sport
1977 M-886
1965 M151A1
1952 M38A1 sold
1965 MG Spridget
1964 Ford Falcon (sold)
1950 Chevrolet Panel truck (sold)
1959 Ford 4x4
1966 Austin London Black Taxi
1964 Triumph Herald Convertable

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 23rd, 2008, 6:44 pm

Baios, You do know that they also make 24 volt winch's don't you? Sell that one and buy a 24 volt version, problem solved.
Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Joe
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Joe » September 24th, 2008, 8:57 pm

Dan, I'll keep that in mind if I go looking for bulbs.... I believe my beacon has clear bulbs along with the red dome but red's will work in there, as well. In the mid-1960's, I used to volunteer to drive a very cool Cadillac ambulance (meat wagon) that sported a Federal beacon with a clear dome and 3 red lamps, so I know they were manufactured at one time.

Funny story but true: After an ambulance run, my partner and I would always change the sheets/pillow case/blanket on the litter so that everything was a go for the next run. Now on this night, a very good-looking Candystriper (young lady, high school age, volunteering her time to gain experience prior to entering the nursing field) was on-duty at the local hospital emergency room when we showed up to 'change the sheets'. Instead of an empty litter, we wanted to be funny and my partner laid down and pulled the sheet over his head. Now this is in 1965 in a small coal town in northeastern Pennsylvania and the place is always quiet, especially on this night. No one is around except the good-looking Candystriper!!! I wheel the litter into the hallway outside the ER and ask her for help finding the morgue. She's giving me directions while staring at the sheet covering the body but screams repeatedly :shock: and runs away when she notices first twitching, then VIOLENT THRASHING from the 'corpse' under that sheet!!!!. Now, we thought this was very funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Bottom line: we never did get a date with her, EVER........

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » September 24th, 2008, 9:20 pm

:lol: :lol: Good one Joe! I'll bet she had to clean her own "sheets" :o :roll:

Image Dan.
1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl
US Army 6 years 2nd Armored Cavalry Bindlach Germany
Colorado Army Nat. Guard 5 years
Md Air Guard 15 years active duty on C-130's

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Unread post by SEABEE62 » January 3rd, 2009, 10:31 pm

So, if you want to charge up the batteries ( two 12v ) , do you charge one at a time/ the upside ( or downside) of one battery/ while connected, or disconnect each and charge each seperately.
1971 M151A2 MUTT , M416 trailer
NMCB 62, Delta Co.,BU2, Gulfport, MS Home Port
VFW 3838, American Legion 63
Seabee Association of America LM , NMCB 62 Assoc.
"Performance Under Fire" US Navy Seabees '69-'72
National Assoc. of Atomic Veterans/ Amchitka
SEMO University Vet Corp Alumni
MVPA#32091

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » January 3rd, 2009, 11:37 pm

Tom

Glad to see you made it over here to join us. :D You can charge each battery individually using a 12volt charger without disconnecting them. at least I have the only 2 times it was necessary in 11 years. Properly maintained and stored, batteries should set for months with no large loss of charge. If you are having problems, get out your meter and look for whatever is drawing power. I know over at G503 on the M38/38a1 page, someone reported that some of the 24 volt foot starter buttons pass enough electricity during starting that they can develop a carbon buildup that can lead to a very slight current going through the starter button. It is slow enough that it takes weeks if not months to drain the batteries. Some of the guys have bought 24volt chargers and rigged the cables up to a slave cable and trickle charge their batteries periodically during storeage through the slave socket. Of course this only works if you have the slave receptacle installed.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Unread post by SEABEE62 » January 4th, 2009, 11:50 am

Thanks, I really didn't know this was here. So I start over in rank again, almost like being busted in rank for not knowing something. I'll have to check both now, which is a lot better than looking ALL OVER THE NET. Thanks, Tom
1971 M151A2 MUTT , M416 trailer
NMCB 62, Delta Co.,BU2, Gulfport, MS Home Port
VFW 3838, American Legion 63
Seabee Association of America LM , NMCB 62 Assoc.
"Performance Under Fire" US Navy Seabees '69-'72
National Assoc. of Atomic Veterans/ Amchitka
SEMO University Vet Corp Alumni
MVPA#32091