M151-LC with half doors???

feel the need to change or modify your mutt? This is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

M151-LC
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

M151-LC with half doors???

Unread post by M151-LC » December 17th, 2007, 3:39 am

Nate was scrolling through some web pages today and came acrross a company that makes half doors for Jeeps.

He grabbed these two great pictures and then chased me down to take a closer look.

Simple mods can be made to the M151-LC to make then fit or we could make a set similar to these in a day or so.

Nate being super safty man of the year around here, I saw exactly what he was trying to unveil to me.

I liked them and thought they would look cool as well as give us some much needed safty on the open trails.

They are better then my original idea I had early in the project of a set that dropped into welded side slots and pin locked in place.

I like a single pin lock off the Rops and then a swing out hinge set up way better, and it sure won't be so dang noisy with door vibration either...LOL

You would not have to pull the pins and then lift the side doors out, yeah that was a crappy idea anyway...LOL

On this shoe string budget we will most likely have to make them ourselves, but man it would be sweet to just buy them...LOL

Tommorow we are heading to a local junk yard to see if we can't find ourselves a set of door hinges off something that will make these type of half doors work.

Anyway what do you guys think???

Like them or not???

Bleddyn and Nate

tbanks
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Half doors

Unread post by tbanks » December 17th, 2007, 8:28 am

About 12 years ago I helped disasemble 500 M151s at Fort Knox and there were several with plywood half doors.I'm sure they were just field mods by an enterprising GI but they were well done and looked pretty good.

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by k8icu » December 17th, 2007, 10:09 am

It's a good idea...Making it so you could go back to the soft top and doors with out major modification to the jeep is going to be the hard part. I'm sure you can do it.

Keep us posted.
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....

M151-LC
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Great replies

Unread post by M151-LC » December 17th, 2007, 9:57 pm

First to you THANKS, Man I did not know anyone would remeber the wooden doors on the M151A1's...LOL

I installed about 20 sets in my time...LOL

Yes they were a Mototrpool field mod using wood from old Barracks buildings was very commom practice...LOL

We used that wood to put new rear floors in Dueces too...LOL

How funny someone can say they saw this happen as I brought it up a few years ago on another military web page and got crusified for saying it ever happened...LOL

These were mostly Range vehicle that were always kept in the field and everyone and their mother used them on a constant basis.

I never did see the wooden doors used on any line units that were assigned to indivisual BN and CO level units just the Range vehicles.

Now to address modson the door, I was going to install revovable hangers for the half doors, We were never going to use a Military soft top or soft doors on this rig anyway, my Daughter Micki and my wife Tina designed a proper fitting soft top and then we all searched and sure enough found a old AMC NOS CJ7 Bikini Top too.

So we have a full soft top and a bikini Top too.

We are not going to go hog wild and try to make a set of solid doors just too much detail and work....LOL

We live in Texas so it don't get all that cold anyway so we don't cre too much about having solid doors anyway.

Great observation on the possible modification screwing with a soft top as it sure would have made some kinfd of impact if we had decided to go that way I am sure...LOL

Bleddyn Nate, and Micki