Dual gas tanks

feel the need to change or modify your mutt? This is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rickf
General
General

Re: Dual gas tanks

Unread post by rickf » November 28th, 2008, 11:43 am

raymond wrote:
rickf wrote:AHA! That is better. What is that first valve from? I do not recognize it. My next question would be, why do you need a return line except for a vent and that would not have to be switched? The A1 had no return line and the A2 only has one to eliminate vapor lock. If you are not running in the desert then you would not need it. And please don't anyone tell me the carb will flood or the pump will blow up! Will not happen! The pump will supply between 3 - 5 pounds of pressure and that is it, it stops pumping until the pressure drops. I say this because I have heard those arguments before. :roll: :lol:

Rick
If there is no return line from an A2 carb, dams will break, volcanoes explode, earthquakes will destroy cities, crops will fail, the sun will burn out and go dark, and civilization as we know it will come to an end :!: :shock: :roll: :lol:
Raymond, You are pretty close to the reactions I got on the other forum when I said an A2 could be run without the return line. :lol: :lol: :lol:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

svramselaar
Major
Major

Unread post by svramselaar » November 29th, 2008, 5:26 am

hello

the valve is from a marine suplyer only i used it as example
there are also brass one`s
you are right with the return line
it is only there to cool the fuel line and pump
if you want to use the retun also take two valve`s and put the handle`s together so thad you swich both

george

Spike
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Spike » December 2nd, 2008, 12:47 pm

If you are considering doing this project just for the sake of having a project then by all means go for it, we don't want you to get bored this winter. Why not install (other than the cost) a transfer pump? Once you modified the tank for fit and function you could install a NOS A1 pump that could be fastened to a hose that could be used to fill the main tank or other things like your other gas-powered toys. Personally, (meaning my own bias) I hate seeing all these funky modifications. You can travel over three hundred miles on a tank of gas. You have a spare 5-gallons on the bumperette. I would think the tool storage space would be more valuable than that much extra fuel. It starts to become a Mad Max-looking vehicle after a while when you do unusual stuff like that.

But you know what they say about opinions...
As iron sharpens iron ...

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 2nd, 2008, 1:45 pm

Eric, Short story from my past and you will see why I recomend a fuel cell if you have to go that route.
Way back in the good OLD days we all built and ran dune buggies. The gas tank of choice was an old beer keg, they were rather plentiful in our crowd! I had a fancey flip top that was one way vented on mine but some guys just ran a hose and a regular gas cap. A friend had just that setup and never noticed it was leaking all over him until POOF! Picture this is in a GRAVEL pit, he did the drop and roll but he was covered in gas so the fire would not go out. Finally we all just jumped on him and smothered the fire. It was bad enough that we all got some burns. He suffered through many years of skin grafts and thankfully he did recover, albiet with extensive scars, but he is alive. I have never run a rigged tank since then and will not work on a vehicle that has one.
Just something to consider, Is it worth it?

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by halftracknut » December 6th, 2008, 10:28 pm

If you put in on the right side, where are you going to put your 2 batteries?
slowest mutt east of the missippi..

MUTT Vet
Sergeant Major of the "G"
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Unread post by MUTT Vet » December 9th, 2008, 9:16 am

halftracknut wrote:If you put in on the right side, where are you going to put your 2 batteries?
I've already measured it out and if i take out the windshield fluid tank and relocate the horn the batteries will fit on the inside of the engine bay on the left wall; they're sealed batteries so it shouldn't matter that they will be tilted at an angle.
Eric
***My Jeep won a war, your CJ delivers my mail***
------------------------------------
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
NRA, 1999 (#: 39234404)
MVPA (#: 34922)
------------------------------------
M151A2 super MUTT (stolen)
M151A2 regular MUTT (in works)
Harley Davidson WLA w/ sidecar
M-37 x 2

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » December 9th, 2008, 6:06 pm

Btw, both the horn and the washer reservoir can be relocated to the left side. That's the way my 151 was configured as it allows space for the 100 amps generator setup.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga