Lift, bigger tires

feel the need to change or modify your mutt? This is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

r335e
civilian

Lift, bigger tires

Unread post by r335e » December 17th, 2008, 7:33 pm

I recently fell in love with the m151. I've done my research and I understand the rollover tendencies of the m151. Nevertheless, I'm hoping to put a lift on one after restoring one and putting on larger tires. While It may not be keeping with the aesthetic of the vehicle, a lift is something of a status symbol down here in georgia :D . Anyone see a way to reverse the obvious negative effect of a lift on a rollover prone vehicle?

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Lift, bigger tires

Unread post by Rainman » December 17th, 2008, 7:48 pm

OMG! It's Bubba himself! :shock: :D :lol:

Hey r335e, just kidding, and welcome to the board. I'm sure we'll get into physics and the laws of gravity with this one. You talking height and width, or just height. Modern tires have obvious advantages over NDCC.

Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

r335e
civilian

Unread post by r335e » December 17th, 2008, 8:42 pm

Yes, it’s true. I am a bubba remodeler.

Both height and width would be taken into account. I will be putting on modern tires regardless of whether I do the lift or not to increase the handling. My conception is that if I go ahead and do the lift and put on modern tires, the increased tire width will compensate for the lift and add some handling due to the very low height of the m151 (no ROPS).

Just looking for a second opinion, and maybe some criticism “how dare you disgrace the m151 with a lift!” just for kicks.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 18th, 2008, 7:45 am

Well we will leave the butchering of another Military vehicle for another time. I used to own a four wheel drive shop and have built many types of vehicles. If there is one thing I learned it is that physics will always win. If you go up you also have to go out to maintain the center of gravity. When you go out you will be stressing the bearings something terrible. Next on the list is bigger tires on already marginal brakes. And last but not least is the bigger tires and no way to change gear ratios to compensate. Don't forget the massive amount of power you have there. :roll: All 71 HP. You need to get in touch with Mutt-vet. He has already been through all of this and I really do not want to be spending a lot of time rehashing it. I will tell you the same thing I told him, buy a CJ and save yourself thousands of dollars.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

MUTT Vet
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Unread post by MUTT Vet » January 12th, 2009, 6:25 pm

r335e wrote:I'm hoping to put a lift on one after restoring one and putting on larger tires.
I've tried that. Disaster!!! :o

I spent many months "sternly discussing" the subject with the board and given many examples of why it's not a good idea.

I'm very stubborn and hang out with Bleddyn too much. :wink: So I had to do it for myself and found out the hard way.

First issue will be with the lift. With the independant front and rear suspension, it will be impossible to find a ready made lift...i spent a long time calling people, looking online, and taking my Mutt to off road shops, there isn't a lift that will work.

So it will have to be a custum made set up that will cost a few grand.

Secondly, I didn't lift my mutt because of the price, but i did put the bigger tires on. And that too was a disaster.

With the wider tires you would think it would increase the handling...it doesn't! The mutt was desinged with the 700 x 16 tire in mind. I would get a slight wobble with the larger tires no matter what i did. Modern tires with the same size work fine.

I put bigger tires on a ran into problems with bearings, half shafts, u-joints, diff wear, and horse power. Not to mention I almost killed myself because it takes longer to brake, especially when the brakes are wet.

I've done ALOT of mods on my mutt, but through all the heart ache and lessons learned, i figured out it's very wise to listen to what the old dogs on this site have to say.

I've installed manually locking diffs front and rear, diff vent hoses, K&N air filter, polished and ported head, key start, raised rear exhaust with flexible exhaust tube, 10 ply NDC tires with gel inside the tire and tube, custum drive shaft, modified shock mounts so i can install modern shocks, and some other pidley stuff like extra storage and arm rest.

But with all the mods i have done there are a lot more i haven't done because i followed the advice on this site.

I took off the oversized tires and never went with the lift.

I will tell you something right now. With all those mods, my already formidable mutt has turned into a beast!

I play follow the leader with a bunch of my friends that drive moster CJ's, Bronco's, land rovers, hummers, etc... and usually i leave them behind. That Mutt 'o mine with the locking diffs is unstoppable. I don't have a problem with getting high centered at all, if you are a good driver you don't need the extra ground clearance. (10% vehicle - 90% driver) I still use the NDC tires with no issues what so ever.

The only thing left i want to do is a reduction kit for the transfer case and disc brakes.

Now i know Rick says to get a CJ and mod that and on one hand thats good advice.

But as i've said many times before, everybody and their brother has a modified CJ. No one will notice your CJ except other CJ drivers...EVERYONE notices your Mutt.

It does take a little more effort and money, but if done correctly you can keep the appearance of a M151 and gain the performance to do what you want to do and go where you want to go.

If you are a good driver you don't need a lift or over sized tires.

I used to live in las vegas where i had my jeep in some off road competitions. The ONLY ones i didn't come in the top three spots was were there was speed involved, not much you can do there.

My advice is get some locking diffs, some tuffer axles and drives shafts, hardened u-joints, and maybe disc brakes and you will forget all about the lift and bigger tires. Plus why be a follower when you.can be a leader? don't follow what everybody else is doing, blaze a new path! That's the MUTT way!
Last edited by MUTT Vet on January 13th, 2009, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
***My Jeep won a war, your CJ delivers my mail***
------------------------------------
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
NRA, 1999 (#: 39234404)
MVPA (#: 34922)
M151A2 super MUTT (stolen)
M151A2 regular MUTT (in works)
Harley Davidson WLA w/ sidecar
M-37 x 2

SEABEE62
Fleet Admiral

Unread post by SEABEE62 » January 12th, 2009, 7:07 pm

I was thinking about tires on the sides and on top....this way I keep on going when I roll it.
1971 M151A2 MUTT , M416 trailer
NMCB 62, Delta Co.,BU2, Gulfport, MS Home Port
VFW 3838, American Legion 63
Seabee Association of America LM , NMCB 62 Assoc.
"Performance Under Fire" US Navy Seabees '69-'72
National Assoc. of Atomic Veterans/ Amchitka
SEMO University Vet Corp Alumni
MVPA#32091

moose53
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by moose53 » January 13th, 2009, 5:22 pm

course you could always do this, you'd never get stuck then...

Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032 G838.org

--------------------------------------
1971 G838-M151A2 1966 G857-M416
1968 G748-M101A1 1976 G748-M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

--------------------------------------
Real jeeps have horizontal grille slots

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » January 13th, 2009, 9:13 pm

I WANT THEM! I WANT THEM, I WANT THEM NOW! Hey Baios, that ought to take care of your tire fetish!!!!

I have seen them on pick-ups but not on a mutt.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

MUTT Vet

Unread post by MUTT Vet » January 14th, 2009, 10:06 am

I can't imagine what kind of modifications it would take to put those tracks on.

Stronger drive shaft and axles. Different differentials. More horse power. What else?

Big money GI...Big Money. :lol:
Eric
***My Jeep won a war, your CJ delivers my mail***
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
NRA, 1999 (#: 39234404)
MVPA (#: 34922)
M151A2 super MUTT (stolen)
M151A2 regular MUTT (in works)
Harley Davidson WLA w/ sidecar
M-37 x 2

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » January 14th, 2009, 10:34 am

I don't think you would need a stronger drive system because you have significant gearing in those tracks. Look for example at a Unimog with the portal axles, with the gearing in the hub the drive shafts are indeed pretty thin. Same thing with a Humvee.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga