Straight Pipe Exhaust

feel the need to change or modify your mutt? This is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Straight Pipe Exhaust

Unread post by Cobra5 » March 4th, 2009, 10:41 pm

Has anyone done this mod to their exhaust system. I was considering it but wasn't sure if running without the muffler would be a problem.

rickf
General
General

Re: Straight Pipe Exhaust

Unread post by rickf » March 5th, 2009, 7:40 am

A Stock muffler is straight through, look in one end and out the other.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

sarmadq
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by sarmadq » March 5th, 2009, 10:37 am

It would give you a good sound.
(If noise pollution is not an issue)
Remove the middle muffler and have a tuned on right on the end and you might end up with a V8 sound.
Sam
1983 M151A2 - M825
.....You gotta know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away, Know when to Run !
You don't count your money, sitting at the table
There'll be time enough for counting
When the deal is Done !......

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » March 6th, 2009, 2:37 pm

sarmadq wrote:It would give you a good sound.
(If noise pollution is not an issue)
Remove the middle muffler and have a tuned on right on the end and you might end up with a V8 sound.
Unlike other places in this country we don't have mandated smog checks or noise restrictions. So I'm going to install a cold air induction system and straight pipe the exhaust on my Dodge diesel. It will increase the horse power and fuel mileage on the cummings. No more muffler or cat convertors. I'm wondering if the little Hurcules engine can produce more power with this type of mod.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 6th, 2009, 2:47 pm

I have a straight through muffler. It is really a glass pack with all the guts removed. It was installed by a friend with a muffler shop. My old muffler rotted through and I didn't want to spend any money or knock the skin off my knuckles putting an NOS muffler on an old exhaust system. It isn't any louder than the stock muffler, nor can I tell any difference in power. These engines seem to be pretty quiet to begin with. When the exhaust does go south, I am going to have him fab me up a stainless exhaust system.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

MUTT Vet
Sergeant Major of the "G"
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Unread post by MUTT Vet » March 6th, 2009, 3:06 pm

I'm telling you guys, go with the stainless steel flexible tubing. Much easier to route.
Eric
***My Jeep won a war, your CJ delivers my mail***
------------------------------------
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
NRA, 1999 (#: 39234404)
MVPA (#: 34922)
------------------------------------
M151A2 super MUTT (stolen)
M151A2 regular MUTT (in works)
Harley Davidson WLA w/ sidecar
M-37 x 2

FireGod
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by FireGod » March 4th, 2011, 9:46 pm

MUTT Vet wrote:I'm telling you guys, go with the stainless steel flexible exhaust tubing. Much easier to route.
for the routing facility and as the tube is flexible, there is no need to do any complicated bending and math calculation to make sure the line extends the proper route from end to end---you just install it and work the flexible tubing through the available space.

mrdibbles
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by mrdibbles » March 4th, 2011, 10:50 pm

NOS Complete exhaust systems are cheap and plentiful. They make it possible to easily disconnect and remove the powerpack and replace subcomponents of the system (given it's modularity). I personally think they can be a little frustrating to install but it can be done in less than an hour or two. Seems simple and cheap enough that I find it hard to want to do something else.
1992 Mercedes-Benz 250GD Wolf - Former German Army
St. Augustine, Florida

Ralph Fuller
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Ralph Fuller » March 5th, 2011, 6:42 pm

I agree with Matt. What is the cost differential between stock and flexible? I wouldn't even consider that a motor-pool modification.
Ralph
1967 M151A1
1967 M151A1
1967 M416
1947 Bantam TC-3 trailer
If The Phone Don't Ring ... You'll Know It's Me
Airborne Ranger CIB Vietnam

64 M151
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by 64 M151 » April 20th, 2011, 8:08 pm

Exhaust systems is crucile to the performance of the engine and all is not created equal for all vehicles and must require some back pressure. I learned about this when I had a factory exhuast system about to lay on the ground so I go into the shop to have it replaced like it came from the factory and the cost was beyound my wallet so I had them to shorten the system just in front of the rear wheels and the cost was cheaper and really didn't notice any change in performance or fuel usage. So any way a couple of years passed and went to go to the inspection station to be inspected and it didn't pass because the tail pipe was in front of the rear wheels because the law change that all exhust systems must extend pass rear of the rear wheels. So I go have it done and it boosted the performance and fuel mileage that I never felt before in the old truck.

So its like the range of a pistol (less) vs the range of a rifle (more). So you can modifie your system which could be negitive or a positive out come. So for me I will keep it as factory as much as possible.

Later Joe
" Apply The 6 P theroy" (Previous Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance)"
" When something becomes FUBAR We Blame it on SNAFU Then Try to SWAG Our Way Out of it"
"Just my Wooden Nickels worth"

GARETT0439
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by GARETT0439 » May 30th, 2011, 10:49 pm

I have my A1 temporarily straight piped(ends at the joint where the muffler starts). It sounds terrible, and i haven't noticed an increase or decrease in power. Its also so loud that i have to wear shooting earmuffs while driving, increases the fire hazard while offroad, and ruins my stealth ability while driving in places i shouldnt be. Pretty much sucks all around! Long story short i'm ordering the nos muffler right away[old muffler rusted away]