Prototype?

feel the need to change or modify your mutt? This is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Prototype?

Unread post by Rainman » March 27th, 2009, 2:45 pm

Just got off the phone after an hour, with MV parts dealer. The question of an M151 with a glove box came out of my mouth, and he says he had one. Not only had one but still has the dash and the box lid. Says it was an early 151 with 3 straight supports under the hood instead of chevrons. He still has the hood too. The rest was too rusty to salvage. I don't mean to start his phone ringing, but it's nice to know that at some point maybe we could get to see a picture or 2. I know Joe in Oklahoma also has an old HK 151 "first run" with a hole in the dash for a glove box, but last I knew he had no lid. Were these rare prototypes, or just a limited run with few remaining?

Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Re: Prototype?

Unread post by Floyd » March 27th, 2009, 2:59 pm

Rainman: Have no idea about the mods, but I vaguely remember Joe’s glove box. If it was the same thread he used the bottom of a Jerry can for a cover. Sounds a bit funky but it came out looking NOS.

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » March 27th, 2009, 5:26 pm

Yep, I remember the picture of the hole in the dash, but guess pictures of the fabricated lid were later and on the other board. That picture was what I was thinking of when I mentioned it to him. Just one of those things you think of from time to time. Never heard of the hood modification though. I'll try to get pictures of both, as further communication will be required on other items anyway.

Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 27th, 2009, 10:43 pm

I'd like to see the underside of the hood with straight instead of chevron supports. That is a new one for me.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus