A few pics of some mods

feel the need to change or modify your mutt? This is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

MUTT Vet
Sergeant Major of the "G"

A few pics of some mods

Unread post by MUTT Vet » March 30th, 2009, 9:59 pm

I had the day off today so i took the jeep out and went off roading and muddin'.

I got back and decided i should finally post some images of some of my mods for those curious. In hind sight i should have done that BEFORE i got the jeep dirty.

Here's a picture of the 12 volt converter i installed inside the battery box. The terminals are sealed and the whole thing is water tight:
I have the batteries strapped down so they don't move.

I have the converter feeding a 6 terminal fuse panel in a sealed box:

So far the only things I'm using the 12 volts for is a new 132db horn (the stock horn is still there and works, so now i have two) and a 12 volt sealed power outlet:
Horn-

I mounted the button for it right on the steering column next to the blinkers (which still doesn't work :( ).
I used the existing hose clamp and an additional one to secure the button (not permanent).

...and a 12v power outlet-

I used an existing bolt hole that was used to secure the defroster lever:

I'm in the process of making a switch that can change the voltage at the slave receptacle from 24 volts to 12 volts with a rotary switch in a sealed box.

I'm having to make it myself because apparently no one on the face of the earth has what i need or can make it! :shock:

I also installed 2 grill braces inside the engine bay:

I didn't have to drill any holes for this one either. Where they mount to the grill i used the holes for the hood knobs.
At the rear i used bolt holes that were pre-existing.

On the bottom image you can see where i put a strip of RV rubber seal on the lip of the grill. You'd be amazed at how quite the hood is now.
With the braces on, the head light guards have something solid to push against; and adds to the noise reduction of the typical rattling hood.

Here's those locks i was talking about when i had my tools stolen:

Axe-
I drilled a hole at the base of the axe and straight through to the other side (yes through the body :shock:, please forgive me :wink: ) and then got a bolt that i drilled a hole at the tip and slid it through the two holes.

Inside the drivers side i just put a lock on.

Shovel-
I took a long hasp and heated it up a bit and then bent it around a piece of spare chain link fence post that i had.
I installed it so it would wrap around the shovel handle securing it into the front holder. (Again I had to drill a couple of holes :? )

Here's the rear differential with the stock diff vent removed and a hose adapter screwed into the hole and then clamped a hose to it and ran it along the body:

I used some metal tubing where it crosses the frame to protect it from the exhaust, i kind of melted it so i went with metal (the exhaust, as you can see, is not there; that's another mod. I'll get to it):
The red arrow is the metal tubing and the blue arrow is the regular hose i have zip tied to the brake line.

Same thing done on the front differential:

The two hoses from the diffs run to the air intake, the K&N air filter is not in the way:
I had a spare intake housing so never fear, i can return it to normal if need be. :wink:

The battery kill switch is mounted inside a hollowed out slave receptacle. The key is a marine key switch. The plate already had some holes there that i used.
I don't think the plate was standard, it looks like who ever had it before me had cut the dash and bolted a plate down.:

This is more of an adaptation than a modification. I am inherently lazy and always disliked having to brace the passenger seat on my back while i opened the tool compartment. So, laziness being the mother of invention, i just attached the chain that originally held the seat pin to a c-clamp and then to the handle:

That way when you unlock the pad lock and lift up on the seat, the lid comes with it:

The last mod i'll post right now is the modified exhaust. This is the one that i'm sure Rick is going to send me a PM punch to the face over :lol:

I had an old muffler that the exhaust pipe leading to the tail was messed up, so i used it.

I ground off the lip coming out the back and put some exhaust system sealant all around it and the clamped some flexible stainless steel exhaust tubing on it:

I routed it along the frame for protection towards the side of the jeep with the spare tire on it (by the way NEVER spray paint your exhaust pipe at the muffler, the fumes of the burning paint is like LSD! :shock: 8) that made for an interesting ride to work :lol: ):

Then up through the outside of the fender:
I tested it out and the fender where your arm would rest doesn't get hot enough to even be uncomfortable. I was out off roading for a couple of hours so there was plenty of time for it to get real hot. The only hot part is right under the lip below the frame bow for the top. I can get some water proof heat shielding and get rid of that if it becomes an issue.

Then routed it between the outside wall and the support for the roll cage:

I...gulp...be gentle Rick :shock:... then drilled a hole right above the rear tail light and brought the flex exhaust out behind the tire and secured it with a hex coupling:

I stenciled the word "HOT" underneath the "tailpipe".

There was an unforeseen benefit from this mod. Before the new exhaust, the jeep sputtered all the time, after the new exhaust it all but stopped. I'm not sure why it did that but i'm not complaining.

Well that's it for now. If i've missed any images you were curious about from previous post's let me know and i'll try to get some pictures posted.
Last edited by MUTT Vet on May 5th, 2012, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric
***My Jeep won a war, your CJ delivers my mail***
------------------------------------
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
NRA, 1999 (#: 39234404)
MVPA (#: 34922)
M151A2 super MUTT (stolen)
M151A2 regular MUTT (in works)
Harley Davidson WLA w/ sidecar
M-37 x 2

toptiger
Colonel
Colonel

Re: A few pics of some mods

Unread post by toptiger » March 31st, 2009, 3:21 am

thanks for posting the mods, interesting and innovating stuff. I won't ask why. Hey it's your jeep and you can do whatever you want to it.
Author M-151 MUTT, The Vietnam Jeep
Paper edition http://www.blurb.com/books/1646321
IOS ebook iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id598605516
2 M151A2s, M416 trailer, M274A5 Mule,
Former Army Aviator, Bien Hoa, VN 1968-69
Mustang Gunship Platoon Commander
68th Assault Helicopter Company 'Top Tigers'
Central Florida and France

MUTT Vet

Unread post by MUTT Vet » March 31st, 2009, 6:56 pm

I did the mods because i want a unique jeep to be even more unique.
I also did them because i wanted to prolong the life and abilities of a jeep that i drive everyday in any season in all conditions.

I wanted my jeep to still look like a M151A2 but have modern parts and better performance.

As of right now the only thing that doesn't look stock on the exterior of the jeep is the new exhaust, all the other mods are mostly hidden.

There's still a lot i want to do, but rest assured that it's still going to be a M151A2 on the outside.
Plus, all the parts i have modified can be changed out because i have spares that are stock.

The only change I've done that isn't as easily reversible would be the exhaust tail pipe location.

I new when i got it from the DRMO at Nellis AFB that it probably would never be a show jeep, it was already to heavily "modernized".

So i just decided to still keep the look of a traditional jeep but add modern components and performance.
Eric
***My Jeep won a war, your CJ delivers my mail***
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
NRA, 1999 (#: 39234404)
MVPA (#: 34922)
M151A2 super MUTT (stolen)
M151A2 regular MUTT (in works)
Harley Davidson WLA w/ sidecar
M-37 x 2

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » May 16th, 2009, 4:14 pm

Hey Muttvet,

I really like the mods, i'm very curious about 2 of them, the diff breathers and the grill braces.
I would really love to know more about how you did them.
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)
Muttless at the moment. :(
The Last Of Its Kind. A Ton Of American Steel.