The amazing things you can find at a Neighborhood yard sale

feel the need to change or modify your mutt? This is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

M151-LC
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Hercules engine

Unread post by M151-LC » January 7th, 2008, 9:13 pm

Yes you guys are right about the manufactures name, and the later engine was infact a Hercules engine. You must remember that back when I was a Private most of the guys I served with were older Korean War Vets and early era Vietnam Vets, heck I even served with a quite a few old timers that were in WWII closing in or already past retirement age.

They refered to the M151as a Jeep and the engine as a Hurricane and as I said it just stuck.

Sorry if anyone don't like the term but most of these guys when I first enlisted had worked on M38's and M38A1's for many years before the M151 series came into the motorpool.

I don't think I need to explain myself any futher on this topic, I had the pleasure of being a Motorpool Tech when the HMMWV wasn't even someones wet dream yet...LOL

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » January 7th, 2008, 9:28 pm

Is there any way to tell the Hercules manufactured engine from the Continental manufactured engine :?: I know the WW2 guys know all about casting marks, casting numbers, as well as some pretty subtle differences. Perhaps Hercules bought out Continental. As for the discrepancy in horsepower ratings, I would think that for a gasoline engine that generates 65 horsepower at 3500 RPMs, 71 horsepower at 4000 RPMs would be about right.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by k8icu » January 7th, 2008, 11:05 pm

The MUTTS motor comes from industrial applications. My next door neighboor a few houses ago worked on towmotors that had the same motor in them.... In fact he helped me fix a few things on mine that if done by the manual would have required tearing the motor down, but because he worked on them like every day he knew the short cuts to fixing them.
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....