Best of Ford Selection

feel the need to change or modify your mutt? This is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

M151-LC
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Best of Ford Selection

Unread post by M151-LC » February 23rd, 2008, 8:47 pm

Ford did not sponsor us but they were moved by our M151-LC design and Granted Team G503 a huge honor yesterday.

We were selected as part as the Best of Ford Trucks in Desert Racing, you have to Love Ford.

I got this e-mail from Ford Racing with this confirmation that our M151-LC was excepted into the Desert Racing Ass.

Ford who loves our M151-LC may also choose to sponser our Race Team in the future and that is just too cool!

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » February 24th, 2008, 11:31 am

Bleddyn;

As far as I understand you would need to run in the open classes (there are two). Then Best in the Desert Racing Assoc. has nothing to do with the Baja, right ?
To get recognized as a Ford truck, you would need to run a Ford engine, do you have new plans for the engine ?
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

M151-LC
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

We do have a Ford Pinto engine...LOL

Unread post by M151-LC » February 24th, 2008, 2:40 pm

Your correct Horst, we will have to Run Ford Power and we do have a engine we scored at a Junk yard out of a Old Pinto, Ford does have tiews with the BAJA Series Race Events, we are still learning about everything that is involved.

We do have the engine broken down for a rebuild and then we will swap out the Jeep engine when we get that completed, it all comes down to money and it's going in so many directions trying to get this M151-LC build up phase completed.

We had to have a half decent operating power pack like yesterday so we went for what we could afford on this shoe string budget.

The whole Best of Ford stuff was kind of a Gift I would think, I was under the impression that this was designated for New vehicles so to be included in the Selection with our old beat up 46 year old Vietnam Era Combat Jeep was a shock...LOL

You must have accepted my apology or you sure would not have given me this cool reply.

F Bill
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by F Bill » February 24th, 2008, 11:58 pm

The pinto motor was used in Formula Ford, if I remember correctly...should be a lot of parts available for it.. Do you have a 2.0 liter with manual adjusting valves or a 2.3 with hydraulic lash adjusters? THe 2.3 was also available in later mustang and capri models as a TURBO!!(it was pretty dang good as a turbo, had a bud in college with one.
Projects, anyone?

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by k8icu » February 25th, 2008, 10:55 pm

I know a guy who drag races a pinto with the pinto motor. Does 9s and 10s in the 1/4 mile so the motor has alot of power. Good luck with your project.
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....

M151-LC
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Ah the Ford capri great topic

Unread post by M151-LC » February 26th, 2008, 1:34 am

The Capri also came with a Jaguar engine way back I forget what years now, but man what a fast smaaler car for it's day. The Pinto engine does have some power for such a small engine I was suprised just how much when i looked the engine up on some web pages recently. Easy to find parts for and upgrade modification parts are availible for the engine. Has a pretty good track record too as a strong life engine similar to the Chevy straight 6 and Chrysler slant 6 both engines I considered for the M151-LC.

No one likes to part with these old motors as they are so dependable and asking prices are often more then I can afford at any given time so I score what I can and pray everything will hold together...LOL

I think the 305 and 350 are my favoute GM engines but man that straight 6 is way up thier on my list.

Great topis guys thanks I enjoyed this, I have to run just popped in for a minute while taking a beer break, can't stand not being on this web page for long as I may miss some insane topic...LOL Just me Bleddyn