Aftermarket wheels/tires

feel the need to change or modify your mutt? This is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

ohiomgman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: Aftermarket wheels/tires

Unread post by ohiomgman » September 23rd, 2010, 5:57 pm

halftracknut wrote:I almost lost an A-1 once but I was down hill in a right hand turn and could feel her about to give so I let off of it and she strightened right up...you get the sme response from an old VW....

BINGO.

Moral: If you want to roll an m151...you can prob do it. ALSO, if you wanted to roll an APC or a Deuce, or a Porche...you prob could roll those also. Commen sense trumps all.
NRA Life Member. Class 7 FFL/ SOT
1964, M151-A1
1950, US M-38 Jeep. Serial # 36.
1952,US M-38 Jeep
1965, Willys M-274 Mule
1945, CCKW, closed cab, 353
416 Trailer
M100 Trailer
US Army 5 year RA. RSVN 1968-1970

Crusader_22
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by Crusader_22 » September 24th, 2010, 4:28 am

The arm lying in the road afterwards on that vid is unsettling, indeed...noticed the occupants got thrashed around a lot, but never "crushed" under the flipping vehicle. Makes me wonder if I should stop wearing my lap belt on the road and take my chances with being ejected clear...I'm sure you will disagree, TJ.

My supervisor at work (a French Canadian, formerly with the Canadian Air Force) told me how he rolled an A2 in Canada years ago in the winter...he says he will show me pics. I'll have to ask him again.

I already drive my M151 VERY carefully, and now I will be even moreso.

You just have to respect and understand these things, and drive them with maturity and diligence. Like anything, I guess.

My last "hobby car" was a '65 Porsche 911. Talk about predictably unpredictable...the ass end of that thing came around me twice, with no warning. But I was driving it like a jackass. I have a lot of VW experience, too - HTN and ohiomgman are correct!

Jeff
11 yrs Army NG, currently full time AH-64D Apache Longbow crewchief
Former 11B, 32 IN BDE, WIARNG "RED ARROW!" OIF 3 2005-2006
General know it all jerk 42 years and running.

SOLD 1971 AM General M151A2
SOLD 1966 USMC M416

Thumper14
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by Thumper14 » May 2nd, 2016, 8:30 pm

Post revival! Since I own an impostor, i'm considering something other than the stock steelies for wheels.

Still waiting to get the Titan back to my house so I googled "m151 off road" and saw these wheels and love them. Any ideas if these are stockers off of something else? The ones on the blue jeep look like old CJ wheels to me.