Diesel conversion anyone?

feel the need to change or modify your mutt? This is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Chef
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Diesel conversion anyone?

Unread post by Chef » March 21st, 2011, 11:16 pm

I read with fascination the post from svramselaar about the German diesel conversion. It looks outstanding as it uses the original transmission and generator and radiator assy's. Unfortunately for those of us in the states, those motors are not available and I would guess that importing the parts from Europe would be cost prohibitive.
Has anyone ever done a small diesel conversion to a mutt before here in the US using a commonly available diesel motor? Maybe something like a VW 1.6 diesel?

baios
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Diesel conversion anyone?

Unread post by baios » March 22nd, 2011, 6:13 am

I m also interesting for that diesel modification!!!!! I had an email frpm Morlock com about the diesel mutt and...... :? :? :? :? :? :? he said to me that all the kit will cost 4000Euros :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: Asking him what type of diesel engine is.......and no reply yet!!!!!! Also here a Member I think shewran(if I remember well) has put a diesel toyota 2c engine with trhe same trans and the results are fantastic!!!!!!! (to be honest a little old age diesel engine but worka well) I m interesting a lot with that project!!!!!Here the price of petrol is 1.63 per litter :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
DO NOT GIVE UP!!!
m51A2 Ford 1971
E-Mail vzisimos@yahoo.gr

sarmadq
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by sarmadq » March 24th, 2011, 2:16 pm

Baios,
Its Sherwan alright. He has a 2C conversion with the stock tranny. In fact that's a pretty common conversion here, done one for a friend of mine too. There's one with a 3C Turbo too and I'm sure there are others.
Sam
1983 M151A2 - M825
.....You gotta know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away, Know when to Run !
You don't count your money, sitting at the table
There'll be time enough for counting
When the deal is Done !......

Chef
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Chef » March 27th, 2011, 3:12 pm

Wow, 4000 Euro is way too much.
I heard that the "Carolina Growler" had planed a Diesel conversion at one time but I don't have any new info on that project.

hassam
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by hassam » October 14th, 2014, 8:28 am

HEY THERE ,
I'm from Pakistan , as in this post i'm also building a mutt with a 2D diesel Engine (Of Toyota Crown) with its 151 original generator and radiator assy's in tan color .
1982 M825
1978 M151A2
A Ton Of American Steel.
A MAD POWER MACHINE.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 14th, 2014, 9:36 am

Welcome Hassam, We do not hear much from our Pakistani members any more. Sherwan was very big into the M-151 at one time. I don't know if he still has his or not.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Chef
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Chef » October 14th, 2014, 12:35 pm

Hello Hassam.
Would you happen to have any pictures of your conversion you could post?

retiredpara
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by retiredpara » October 14th, 2014, 12:48 pm

Welcome Hassam!

Chef, good thread! I will be following it for sure. I started watching Chrysler/Jeep Corp. years ago when they kept teasing us with their Dakar concept vehicle. It eventually became what we now see sold as the Unlimited, the 4 door wrangler. They had talked about offering this is diesel, but have not here, only overseas.
However, there are jeepers here that have done Unlimited conversions using common rail diesels. You can do some research to see how. Won't help directly with the M151, but interesting to see how they do it.

hassam
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by hassam » October 14th, 2014, 3:24 pm

Yes i Could but unfortunately i don't know how to upload pics .. I like a new member ... I have gone through most the post here and i also saw sherwan was all it to mutts . im converting my mutt with a 3c diesel engine not 2d . its like 100 horse power
1982 M825
1978 M151A2
A Ton Of American Steel.
A MAD POWER MACHINE.

hassam
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by hassam » October 14th, 2014, 3:33 pm

in future im thinking that i will convert an m825 with a wrangler 4x4 diesel engine of 200 horse power :) currently i own an M825 and An M151 A2 :D the M151 is under construction with diesel engine
1982 M825
1978 M151A2
A Ton Of American Steel.
A MAD POWER MACHINE.

retiredpara
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by retiredpara » October 14th, 2014, 10:15 pm

Nice!
Posting pictures is a little tricky at first, but not too bad.
You have to upload your pics to a web hosting site, such as photobucket.com (you can pay, but most use the free service they offer).
Once your photo is uploaded there, you can follow the directions found on this link:
http://g838.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2303

Hope this helps!

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » October 15th, 2014, 7:05 am

That link is 4 pages long and kind of out dated. In Photobucket you just click on the link for Image and it will say "copied" then you go to the forum page and just paste the picture, no need to click anything else there.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

retiredpara
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by retiredpara » October 15th, 2014, 11:43 am

Rick,
You always keep it real, I appreciate that.

hassam
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by hassam » October 15th, 2014, 2:03 pm

HERE IT IS MY M825 Image ITS NOT THE ONE WITH DIESEL ENGINE ...
1982 M825
1978 M151A2
A Ton Of American Steel.
A MAD POWER MACHINE.

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » October 19th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Good Evening.
Nice to see another fellow from the lands.

I've had my share of experience of the mutt, most of the time people have the same question. Hows the diesel? Frankly it sounds like a nice economical idea but honestly from my experience the diesel tears the Mutt apart from with in.

I put in a Toyota 2C motor, mated it to the original transmission. Had the engine configured to sit on the original flat mounts. It eventually then came to a point where it was about to take itself apart. To get that fixed had to make mounts which were at 60 degree vertical. Solved the vibration problem, but then the transmission would wobble side ways and pull it mounts apart. There is a lot of main chassis cutting to get that thing in properly and to work.
After you get it to work, the long stroke 2C destroys the diffs with its low end torque. Then there is the suspension factor, diesels weigh more so spring change.
Most of the diesels are SOHC now so one has to deal with height issue. If one doesn't want to cut a big scoop in the hood, the sump has to be custom fabricated. Big oil leak problem there. Workable space is a crucial factor which the mutt has none of. Many other problems persist with the diesel.

The biggest problem i encountered with the original engine was the Carburetor. There are many after market side drafts available and a adapter plate can be fabricated to mate it.

Word to the wise. The closer you are to the original setup the better it runs. Local mechanics will feed you all kinds of crap to keep their livelihood going. I have experimented with heaps of ideas on the mutt and i am not very fond of that time. The only useful mod i successfully accomplished was the disc brake conversion. Another mod which improves the original engines drivability; is a better flowing exhaust.
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)
Muttless at the moment. :(
The Last Of Its Kind. A Ton Of American Steel.