1st Cav Field Mods

feel the need to change or modify your mutt? This is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

1st Cav Field Mods

Unread post by Rainman » March 11th, 2008, 4:17 pm

Hey All,

Just returned from a trip to Texas, where I had a chance to see the last M151A1, M151A2, and M561 Gamagoat
assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division. They are stored outdoors at the 1st Cavalry Division Museum, an area I
never visited while on active duty there. Out in front of the museum is one of our beloved M151A2s, complete
with field modifications. I'll post a few here, and a many others in the "favorite pictures" area.

None of these mods were on anything I ever drove back in the day. 1st there has been steel plate added to the
rear floor, then the addition of the diamond plate added between the bumperettes, nice job too. The others are
fairly evedent, not sure why the slave plug was moved. This also has a license plate bracket welded to the front
bumper, so I assume it was transportation for a General in one of it's final missions.

ImageImageImageImage

I'd like to get back sometime and speak to the MMFIC of the museum. The M151A1 had a description plaque stating
that it was used in Korea. Guess they were, just not in the 50"s as written. The A2 has screw adjust M151 seats
in it, the M151 had late model seats and no gas cap, not the best thing for an outdoor display.

Any ideas for the reasons for these mods? The hoods had zip ties on the latches, so not sure what's under the
hoods of any of the vehicles there. Many in rough shape, a few recently painted. I'd love a MV museum job!

Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

M151-LC
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Very cool Rain man!

Unread post by M151-LC » March 11th, 2008, 5:42 pm

Nate and I enjoyed these pictures big time just sweet and nice to see the Mods were left undone too.

It proves our point that not all modifications are a bad thing...LOL Sorry I missed you I did reply to your e-mail and was ready to take a drive down to DFW to hook up and have a few cold beers with you too.

I had left my phone number within that e-mail but you never called. Oh well I am going to be up your way in July so we can meet up then man.

Thanks again for sharing the pictures it's a real treat when you see these baby's in their element and not demil.

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Mods

Unread post by Rainman » March 16th, 2008, 7:23 pm

Hey HK,
Sorry we never got together on my trip down your way. I'll hang on to those numbers though.
I may get down again over Thanksgiving, staying again in Southlake. Almost made another trip
down to Ft. Hood after I got stranded there for a few extra days. Did you have snow in Henrietta?

Rainman

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by k8icu » March 16th, 2008, 9:51 pm

Hey Ray,

I bet those mods were done so the jeep could be used for dog and pony shows. i.e. pass n reviews.

That diamond plate by the pintle would be a good step and the flat plate in the back would be perfect for standing on with low quarters. They probably took the back seat out for those days.

Makes the most logical sense to me.
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: 1st Cav Field Mods

Unread post by Rainman » March 27th, 2008, 10:10 am

Hey Joe,

I think you may be right about the diamond plate below the pintle hitch. The armor plate under
the rear seat may be for protection, but didn't they re-enforce the rear area for TOW setups?
No holes in it as though anything had ever been mounted on it. The Slave plug was a curiosity
for me. To move it lower must have been convenience, as that's an odd mod. I was considering
adding a slave plug to the 64 Kaiser, because it never came with one, but sure hate drilling new
holes. Many parts I got from you will go on this Kaiser, so that was a great trip up to see you
last year.

Rainman

Jay Mallari
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: 1st Cav Field Mods

Unread post by Jay Mallari » April 2nd, 2008, 9:08 am

[quote="Rainman" The Slave plug was a curiosity for me. To move it lower must have been convenience, as that's an odd mod. Rainman[/quote]

I wonder if they just copied the location of the slave plug from a M38A1?

Jay