M151 series Upgrades and parts.

feel the need to change or modify your mutt? This is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

M151-LC
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

M151 series Upgrades and parts.

Unread post by M151-LC » December 8th, 2007, 4:10 am

To the ill minded Purist these parts will never be exceptable but to the safty minded you will be very interested in obtaining these items.

AMERICAN GROWLER offers replacement panels for a fair price.

You can get complete M151A1 and M151A2 front fenders.

Then for the guys who like safety like Nate and I you can get Disk Brakes made for the M151 series vehicle.

All M151A2 FAV's have disk brakes not drum brakes and that means they are 100% acceptable to be used on all M151 series vehicles.

Then the ultimate new edition to the M151A2 FAV and the New Growler has to be the Diff lockers!

The Diff Lockers on the M151A2 and Growler FAV are as good as on the New Wrangler Rubicon coming in electric and air lockers.

If you thought your Jeep was unstoppable before, add some lockers and you will know the real freedom of intense off roading.

The Lockers and the disk brakes are modern Modifications used by the USMC.

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by k8icu » December 8th, 2007, 11:28 pm

Interesting information is there a website for the fenders? I'm going to be redoing my 1960 sumtin M151 and new fenders would be really nice to have.
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....

M151-LC
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I wish I knew American Growler web page off line!

Unread post by M151-LC » December 10th, 2007, 4:07 am

Amercican Growlers web page was up and running when I scored these pictures, as it was still known as Carolina Growler then.

Ever since the USMC American Growler prototype came under scrutiny their web page has not been up and running at all.

You could purchase these items new and a lot of other parts as well.

I had purchased and built a few Growler M151A2 kit's directly from the Company, they did not sell however as I had dreamed they would and I lost a huge chucnk of money on the whole deal in the end.

The one big difference on the fenders was not their design, they were a better guage of steel then a stock M151.

The fenders were much more durable like flat fenders on a CJ2A for example.

I had dreamed of building a bunch of Growlers so M151 Jeep owners could have a stock show peice and a Growler M151 Jeep to use and abuse on the trailsm the best of both worlds, but it just never panned out that way in the end.

however, I am thinking about buying a few more and building the worlds first Growlwer M151A2 based solid axel platform like our M151-LC and seeing if they may sell better in the Rock Crawling world.

Brand new uni-body with Dana 44's and air lockers like our M151-LC maybe a high demand rig after we show off just how fantastic our Jeep will perform.

I already have the Tech Design why not run with it and see where it goes.

Bleddyn

k8icu
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by k8icu » December 11th, 2007, 12:42 am

Their website is no more because they have moved to a new domain name because it looks like they either reorginized the company or were purchased. Here is the website that I could find.
http://www.capitaldefense.com/AmericanGrowler.shtml

It looks as if the fenders are a thing of the past. ...bummer...I need to re-restore my M151A1 and a new set of fenders would have been a wonderful thing.
There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove.....

Witt1mann1
Corporal
Corporal

Diskbrakes

Unread post by Witt1mann1 » December 11th, 2007, 12:07 pm

Here's another pic of the diskbrake setup.

I believe this conversion was carried out by an italian company.

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

151 parts

Unread post by Fil Bonica » December 13th, 2007, 6:23 pm

This a rehash of things that have been on various sites. Nothing new!

You can buy replacement A2 fenders from Murray, Riv Rad and Iam sure others. The A1 tops are available from Macs Militaria

The brake conversion and locker diffs have been around from the boys in Italy.

So what's new??? Has Bleddyn cornered the market on these items too?

Fil Bonica

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Mutt parts

Unread post by Fil Bonica » December 13th, 2007, 6:29 pm

Forgot to mention that I am also a " Ill Minded purist" who can spell !!

Happ Holidays

Fil Bonica

Spike
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Spike » December 13th, 2007, 6:38 pm

Happ Holidays to you too Fil :lol: :wink:
As iron sharpens iron ...

M151-LC
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

I can talk about the Purist thing in this section Fil!

Unread post by M151-LC » December 14th, 2007, 3:12 am

I was not addressing you directly either Fil so chill out already will you.

I don't care to mention names but outside of the Mods page I have been ripped a new A-Hole by those who think I am some kind of loose cannon jerk off for modifying M151' is any sense.

I resent the statement that I am now cornering the market type reply on these Modified Items I posted Fil.

Sure they are a rehash from other sights but to anyone new on this page or perhaps someone who has never seen these parts would still be interested in taking a look.

Their was no cause for you to insult me.

Fil I am adventurous old man these days, I was a dang Tech for 33 years, so to be honest I am so sick of restoring any Military Ground vehicle back to stock as to make me want to puke man.

I am a Purist at heart, i have proven that time and time again on every Willy's and Ford Jeep I own and have restored.

I have purchased 5 M151 series vehicle in the pastnearly 3 years Fil, 2 ex cut's a 1963 Willys Kaiser M151, no one I know on the G503 or this web page has ever restored a X-cut so well that it was passed by DOT as road legal and presented with a plates and Title.

How more fanatical can you get then that as a Purist Fil???

I also Restored the second X-Cut 1965 Ford M151A1 and made her a nice Running Jeep again too you my remember this as the Jeep I converted from 24V to 12V.

Neither one of these vehicles were ever meant to be drivable again yet my Purist attitude was directed at DRMO and the DOT as wrong.

Let's not be so quick to jump all over the word Purist FIL it was meant for those who would never use a "Carolina Growler Fender" on a M151 series vehicle as the "slightest difference" would not be acceptable to that crowd man.

You know the loop of the A2 Drop fender and let's not forget the Guage differences as well.

Don't worry Fil, Nate Micki and I still Love ya man...LOL

halftracknut
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by halftracknut » December 15th, 2007, 8:39 pm

151-LC, give'em what for! I don't care how you mod one or how you spell. We all slip up sometimess. After all you posted the info on the mods board for goodness sake. Lets see some more.......HTN...... :D
slowest mutt east of the missippi..

M151-LC
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

LOL HTN

Unread post by M151-LC » December 16th, 2007, 1:55 am

I think Fil is a cool Guy maybe he was just having a bad day...LOL

I was not upset at him and hell I can't spell worth a crap I know that...LOL

I was a Marine Not a English Teacher...LOL

Since Nate, Micki Tystion and I kind of lead the way on the mods board stuff, we can be a little cocky...LOL

It all comes down to having fun and being creative.

I love the "WHAT IF'S" Nate is a Purist by Nature can't leave anything out of place and he is my biggest critic.

The only Real time Nate likes the mods feild is when he knows he can out do me on perfection...LOL

Compitition with my children has always been something that has sttod up in this family of mine.

Micki and I take a back seat to Nate on many issues in the shop as he is head strong and committed to showing us he has the better way, nice to have a nice yong fresh mind I tell ya...LOL

To me it's just a simple drive to modernize the M151 series vehicle to be able to compete in the world of the Wrangler Rubicon, Nate see's beyond that, he see's the M151 in all it's glory as close to stock as possible with upgrade that reflect a earlier time.

He loves the locking diffs and the Disk brakes, but hates when I try to add lift kits and anything like that to a M151 Jeep...LOL

Micki and I want 21st century futuristic insanity,and Nate wants near stock safty and performance.

Go figure huh???

Yet Nate came up with the best Rock cralwing additives to our 1954 M38A1 including th suspension lift axels off a Internatinal Harvester Scout and choice of a 305 Hot Rod engine...LOL

The Jeep is great and performs on a dime, yest it is not a Desert racer platform and that is what the main goal was with the M151-LC to show a solid axels Jeep type vehicle could compete in that forum.

Thanks for the fun reply HTN you well noted...LOL

Bleddyn, Nate, Micki and Tystion

Fil Bonica
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Mods

Unread post by Fil Bonica » December 16th, 2007, 3:16 pm

Describing someone as an "ill minded purist" is not a term of endearment.

I didn't take it personally nor was it a "bad" day.

Just don't think that you should describe anyone that way in an open forum

Fil Bonica

Joe
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Joe » December 17th, 2007, 6:30 pm

Fil,
I agree with your response on this one!!! I, too, prefer to see these rigs go back together like they were built at the factory and if some people call that being a 'purist', then so be it. It's just a preference I've had since I bought my first surplus jeep in 1976 (and still have it). As we see at Aberdeen every May, there's lots of room for everyone's ideas and views on how they want to portray their vehicles and that's what makes the rally so interesting and fun.

Joe
MVPA906