Map Light mounted on the Mutt

feel the need to change or modify your mutt? This is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m151dave
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Map Light mounted on the Mutt

Unread post by m151dave » July 3rd, 2008, 11:18 am

I have one of those cockpit map lights, out of a B52 bomber that I have been thinking of mounting on the passenger side of the dash, left of the grab handle.
I was wondering if anybody else had ever seen this done? Also, looking for advice or suggestions about where to tie the power in if I decide to do this.

The light is mounted on a quick detach base and also has a red filter that can be switched into place. Power cord is coiled like a phone hand set cord. Black finish on it, built like a tank.
Owner - M151A2
Member - MVPA

Founder - The Last Patrol, Vietnam Living History Group
www.lastpatrol.org

raymond
Major General
Major General

Re: Map Light mounted on the Mutt

Unread post by raymond » July 3rd, 2008, 11:43 am

Here's where I put mine. I hooked it into the light switch. It only will come on when the instrument panel lights are on. I left plenty of wire so the windshield can be folded. I ran the wire through an existing hole in the dash and used a rubber grommet so it would not rub through the insulation. In case you're wondering about how I have the defrost ducted, I saw a picture of a military jeep in a book once. The caption said "Anyone who has ever driven a jeep in the rain or snow knows why this defrost was modified this way."

Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

cstaup
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Map Light mounted on the Mutt

Unread post by cstaup » July 3rd, 2008, 1:25 pm

I used to do this to all my HMMWVs back in the day. I wired up a Buss Bar (boxed in) under the passenger dash, that's where I got my 24v. Passenger or TC side, 'cause the operator doesn't need to use it as he can see in the dark.

BTW, in my opinion that is the coolest inerior light ever.
Last 2Δ Command Group NCOIC