Modify fuel system?

feel the need to change or modify your mutt? This is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

MUTT Vet
Sergeant Major of the "G"
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Modify fuel system?

Unread post by MUTT Vet » September 7th, 2008, 2:21 pm

I know i can't be the only one who has this problem: when i'm on a steep hill and my fuel is low, the fuel has a problem getting delivered to the engine effectively.

My jeep will sputter and sometimes die.

Is there any way to fix this problem? Is it possible to use a fuel cell or to use a diferent fuel pump?

Is it possible to convert the engine to fuel injected?

Thanks in advance!
Eric
***My Jeep won a war, your CJ delivers my mail***
------------------------------------
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
NRA, 1999 (#: 39234404)
MVPA (#: 34922)
------------------------------------
M151A2 super MUTT (stolen)
M151A2 regular MUTT (in works)
Harley Davidson WLA w/ sidecar
M-37 x 2

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Modify fuel system?

Unread post by Horst » September 7th, 2008, 4:24 pm

the pick-up tube in the tank is about in the first third of the fuel tank. I could imagine if your fuel level is really low and you are off-roading you might run into a problem. Well, then just fill up your tank. If that happens on the road, you have something wrong. I don't think you have to modify anything, but rather troubleshoot your existing system.

Most of the guys have a clear fuel filter in front of the carburetor, best way to check if you have contamination in the fuel and therefore possible fuel flow problems.

Of course you can convert your engine to a fuel injection. You can convert any engine to fuel injection. Simple fact is that nothing of the shelf is available and everything would be needed to prototype. You can probably buy a new Jeep for the money involved. What do you want to achieve with the fuel injection? Your Jeep will not run faster or more powerful.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga

FireGod
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by FireGod » March 22nd, 2011, 11:18 pm

Horst wrote:the pick-up tube in the tank is about in the first third of the fuel tank. I could imagine if your fuel level is really low and you are off-roading you might run into a problem. Well, then just fill up your tank. If that happens on the road, you have something wrong. I don't think you have to modify anything, but rather troubleshoot your existing system.

Most of the guys have a clear fuel filter in front of the carburetor, best way to check if you have contamination in the fuel and therefore possible fuel flow problems.

Of course you can convert your engine to a fuel injection. You can convert any engine to fuel injection. Simple fact is that nothing of the shelf is available and everything would be needed to prototype. You can probably buy a new Jeep for the money involved. What do you want to achieve with the fuel injection? Your Jeep will not run faster or more powerful.
If you mean its either diesel and gas or possible for conversion to fuel injection?..Right now im planning to do it to my Jeep, I already buy fuel injector for this process. Hope it increase my MPG.
Last edited by FireGod on March 27th, 2011, 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 23rd, 2011, 9:04 am

Has anybody heard from Eric aka Mutt Vet :?:
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 23rd, 2011, 9:30 am

Nope
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

FireGod
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread post by FireGod » March 27th, 2011, 7:46 pm

FireGod wrote:
Horst wrote:the pick-up tube in the tank is about in the first third of the fuel tank. I could imagine if your fuel level is really low and you are off-roading you might run into a problem. Well, then just fill up your tank. If that happens on the road, you have something wrong. I don't think you have to modify anything, but rather troubleshoot your existing system.

If you mean its either diesel and gas or possible for conversion to fuel injection?..Right now im planning to do it to my Jeep, I already buy fuel injector for this process. Hope it increase my MPG.
For the past 3 days, I order this Bostech fuel injector. The conversion is good and like what i hope for, a little increase in MPG was meet.