Over sized tire flaps

feel the need to change or modify your mutt? This is the place to discuss it.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

MUTT Vet
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Over sized tire flaps

Unread post by MUTT Vet » September 9th, 2008, 2:56 pm

I just had a friend of mine in Korea (Kunsan Air Base) email me.

You might not be aware but the Korean military still uses M151A2's, that's why i didn't mind being stationed there for a year.

He said that the Koreans on base were using oversized tire flaps to line the inside of the NDCC 7.00x16 tires to add puncture protection; the flaps weren't against the rim they were around the inside of the tire itself. They were also using correct sized tire flaps for protection against the rim.

Is that a good idea or will that have problems later on. I can understand as i have had a couple of punctures that just barely made it through the tire to puncture the tube. With a heavy duck flap between the tire and the tube, it would help protect from punctures.

Any idea of what the diameter of the inside of the tire is, i wouldn't mind trying this myself.
Eric
***My Jeep won a war, your CJ delivers my mail***
------------------------------------
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
NRA, 1999 (#: 39234404)
MVPA (#: 34922)
M151A2 super MUTT (stolen)
M151A2 regular MUTT (in works)
Harley Davidson WLA w/ sidecar
M-37 x 2

raymond
Major General
Major General

Re: Over sized tire flaps

Unread post by raymond » September 9th, 2008, 4:45 pm

Sounds like a good way to pinch a tube. Not to mention that would be a nightmare to balance :shock: If you want better protection from flats, get some steel belted radials. If you want super protection from flats, Goodyear now offers Kevlar belted light truck radials in their Wrangler line.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

MUTT Vet

Unread post by MUTT Vet » September 9th, 2008, 4:57 pm

How would that pinch a tube? If the oversized flaps are glued in place they won't be sliding around.

My problem with radials and the other non-standard tires is that they just don't have that "MUTT Feel" to them.

I like the way the MUTT looks; the three most distinguishing features are the grille, the fenders, and the tires.

I can always get NDCC tires that have a better ply rating like 10 or 12; i actually know where to get some.
Eric
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
M-37 x 2

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » September 9th, 2008, 5:56 pm

I guess it depends on how oversize it is. If it is so large that it has folds or must be doubled up, that is where you can get a pinched tube and a resultant flat.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

MUTT Vet

Unread post by MUTT Vet » September 9th, 2008, 7:42 pm

I seem to be having trouble finding a good heavy duty inner tube.

Does anyone know where I can find a top quality puncture resistant inner tube?

I found an inner tube at the following site that will fit a 7.00 x 16 tire...and it's bullet proof:
http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/h ... -Tube.html

I'm also having trouble determining what i need to look for when a site shows the Valve Type. On the following site it shows the valve type of TR150. What valve type would i need to look for on my A2?
http://www.otr-offroadtire.com/TU10460.html

Another possible tube?
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs ... cial=false

I know people keep telling me to get a radial, but i want to keep that Mutt looking style to it! :wink:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Eric
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
M-37 x 2

kb0jyl
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by kb0jyl » September 9th, 2008, 7:56 pm

wouldn't be simpler just to go to Harbor Frieght and buy a couple of bottles of tire sealent? That should make your tires about as puncture proof as much as possible. Not sure why you need bullet proof tires, but your mutt. I am using 30 year old used tires and tubes and have not had a bit of trouble, even though I drive around big long Locust tree thorns and my mutt is an everyday driver.

Just my 3.5 cents worth.
Steve
Just follow the yellow brick road........

1967 Kaiser M725 (New project)
1972 Pontiac LeMans luxury Sport
1977 M-886
1965 M151A1
1952 M38A1 sold
1965 MG Spridget
1964 Ford Falcon (sold)
1950 Chevrolet Panel truck (sold)
1959 Ford 4x4
1966 Austin London Black Taxi
1964 Triumph Herald Convertable

MUTT Vet

Unread post by MUTT Vet » September 10th, 2008, 9:01 am

By tire sealent, are you just talking about fix-a-flat? I thought that stuff was bad for inner tubes.

Doesn't it eventually break down and no longer function? It's supposed to be a short term thing.

My MUTT is an everyday driver too, but the reason I'm looking for heavy duty tubes is because i just recently put on new tires with new tubes and the two in front went flat. I looked at the old tubes i took out and they are cooper heavy duty tubes and the new ones i got are not heavy duty and are much smaller and lighter.

I just found out the bullet proof tires are about $800 a piece...so those are out of the question. :lol:
Eric
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
M-37 x 2

kb0jyl
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by kb0jyl » September 10th, 2008, 9:44 am

No, not fix a flat. There are tire sealents available for off road trucks and jeeps. They are designed to seal up around a puncture. You have to use the ones made for tube t ype tires. I use the sealent in all my truck tires, especially my off road stuff.
Steve
Just follow the yellow brick road........

1967 Kaiser M725 (New project)
1972 Pontiac LeMans luxury Sport
1977 M-886
1965 M151A1
1952 M38A1 sold
1965 MG Spridget
1964 Ford Falcon (sold)
1950 Chevrolet Panel truck (sold)
1959 Ford 4x4
1966 Austin London Black Taxi
1964 Triumph Herald Convertable

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 10th, 2008, 9:58 am

If you go to ten or twelve ply tires you will not need air! :shock: The sidewalls will be so rigid thet will stand up on their own. I have said this in the past, I think you are trying to go in two different directions at once. You want the mutt "Feel" but you want maximum performance. Those two things are not going to happen together. Ten ply tires on a mutt would like be driving a rock on wet ice! You would have no traction because the tire would not conform to the road. Check with Wallace Wade for all of your tire needs. They are in your area also.
Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

MUTT Vet

Unread post by MUTT Vet » September 10th, 2008, 10:32 am

Kb0jyl,

What kind of sealant do you use? I have been checking online and all the sealants i can find are not recommended for inner tubes.

Rick,

I understand about the 10 ply, I will stick with the 6 ply. I think i will also try some of the tire sealant and maybe even a tire liner.
http://www.gemplers.com/product/9DR5/70 ... 16-Reliner

A tire reliner wouldn't add stiffness to the side walls, just more protection for the treads. What do you think?

I realize i'm all over the place, i'm just trying to get the best ballance between performance and appearance.

Thanks!
Eric
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
M-37 x 2

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » September 10th, 2008, 11:15 am

If you had the kid at the local tire store put your tubes in, that may be the problem. He may do all his work with tubeless tires and received little if any training on how to properly mount tube type tires. The best way to install tubes is to coat them with talc before inserting them in the tire itself. Then inflate the tire, deflate it, and inflate it a second time. This greatly eliminates the chances of a pinched tube, which is likely what happened with yours.
Raymond

sarmadq
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by sarmadq » December 26th, 2008, 8:01 am

I totally agree with certain points and disagree to some.

6-8 ply tires are the best. I found out I had 12 ply NDCCs on my M825 & when deflated to 18psi there was no noticable increase in the foot print. Though they will save you alot of 'flat' hassle.
Let the Mutt look stay, use NDCCs if the air noise doesn't bother you on tarmac. Michelin has MV tires in its range of products and they look nice too.
Getting inner tube flaps etc is not going to help you much. The balancing is going to be hard and as mentioned if the tube isn't fitted properly, its always going to give you troubles. Replace the inner tubes with heavy duty ones, prefrebly military grade.
Bullet proof sealant/protector is no help for 4x4s doing what they do best, i.e. cross country. Bullet proof material is designed to stop a fast moving penetrating pointed object traveling at speeds over a few hundres meters per second. When it comes to a nail vs kevlar, at slow speeds it manages to find the weak spot and penetrate.

Hope you had the troubles resolved :wink:
Sam
1983 M151A2 - M825
.....You gotta know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away, Know when to Run !
You don't count your money, sitting at the table
There'll be time enough for counting
When the deal is Done !......