mounting radios

Want to put radios in your jeep? Discuss it here.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Cav Trooper
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

mounting radios

Unread post by Cav Trooper » July 15th, 2018, 12:42 pm

I have just reviewed the topic on what is need to mount the radios in a M151. I have all or most of the hardware I need to mount a RT246 and R442. It looks like there are two holes in the top of the fender with 1/4" bolts in them that match the sponson plate for the MT1029. If I use those holes, I still have to drill 2 more for the other back corner of the sponson plate plus the holes in the front. The long bar appears to be a brace going from the plate to the bottom of the fender (another hole to drill). There is a short plate, about 3/4" wide and 6" long with 2 holes on each end that I don't know what to do with. Anyone have an idea? Also, I've seen the AB 450 mount for the AB15 mounted on the drivers side and also mounted on the passenger side which is where my MX6707 mount is attached and I have a fording kit taking up residence on the left rear corner. I still need to get a power cable and I think the 6' length is correct for radios mount on the passenger side. Any advice is appreciated. On the AB15 mount and using all 3 sections of antenna, isn't it fairly long sticking out the rear and what tie down method? It's pretty fragile compared to the 1729 whip.
Thanks,
CT

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: mounting radios

Unread post by kmam » July 15th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Just a quick comment -you need a plate under the guard to support the sponson plate.
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 15th, 2018, 11:11 pm

This will help -

You would need only to bring the antenna back so that its height was generally no higher than that of the other antenna as per the photo.

A few other comments -

I have also seen a picture of an in-theater MUTT with the AB-15's antenna anchored with the "proper" purpose-built clip that has been bolted directly to the riser on the support for antenna on the right rear. I am by no means an expert but in my humble opinion, that would be less than optimal since it would be putting quite a bit of unnecessary stress on that antenna which, as you have noticed, is rather fragile and it's spring isn't especially robust.

From that observation, common sense dictates that having the antenna fully mounted and tied back would probably only really be suitable for tactical movements, rather than long distance, general movements where the antenna might be taken down altogether for safe-keeping. In short, everything would depend upon what the crew would be doing with their radios at the time.

For the time being, I have tied mine back without the use of the proper clip (as it is presently packed away and I'm too occupied to go dig it out.) One end of the cord is tied to the riser in the rear -the other to the antenna. I leave both ends tied and simply pull the slack of the cord through and tie it off when I want the antenna tied back. When the antenna is up, you'll see the cord hanging limply between the riser and the antenna as there really is no reason to remove it altogether.

Cav Trooper
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Cav Trooper » July 16th, 2018, 8:02 pm

About securing in the antenna, I have a M37 with an AB15 on the passenger side and a AS1729 on the driver's side that I tie down when on the road and only untie if I'm at a meet or show. I store it in my garage which has a 8' high garage door and I used the tie down cords and clips to hold the antennas down to just below the door opening. I am looking to do the same with the M151. One question I have is that I'm going to install an RT246 and R442 on the passenger side and did not know that the AB450/AB15 was mounted on the passenger side with the AS1729 mounted on the right rear. I assumed the AB15 would be mounted on the driver's side and a coax cable run across the floor to the R442 and was advised by someone that that was the way they were configured. I like the idea of both antennas on the passenger side, just never realized or thought about the AB15 being secured to the rear. The other issue I have is understanding what one of the sponson plate brackets is for. I know the long one secures at the bottom of the wheel well but the short one is for what?? Is it used for the R442 sponson plate? I don't have any instructions or can't find it in a TM and not pictures of someone's complete installation.
Thanks,
CT

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 16th, 2018, 8:53 pm

On our Board Index, under Communications

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3789

And under our G838 Wiki, again, under Communications.

public_html/wiki/doku.php?id=communications

Not to mention there are LOADS of photos of these rigs on Google Images.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » July 16th, 2018, 9:05 pm

As for the brackets, just remember that these sponson plates (or what we 151 guys call sponson plates) are capable of being mounted in many other vehicles...not just our M151s. Thus, the little reinforcement strips supplied in a mounting kit are not necessarily going to fit every application. It's far easier to put one in each installation kit and have some thrown away than having people going to the extra trouble of having to source them as an independent piece. By way of example, my AB-15 is mounted by two holes inside the tub and two holes that go into the wheel-housing, outside the floor pan. I didn't drill them. The U.S. Army did. The reinforcement strip that comes with the AB-15 kit is useless in this application and so, washers serve to do the job. The truth is, if you're doing something that is dragging your mounting bolts through the bolt holes, you really have far larger problems.... problems that won't be solved by the thin strip of metal provided in the kit.

Cav Trooper
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Cav Trooper » July 16th, 2018, 10:10 pm

Hadn't thought about the use of the sponson plates on other vehicles. As for the AB15 mount, there a no holes in either side so, I'll look at pictures and wing it. I bought a used one from Fair Radio with the brush guard, grit blasted it and painted nice and pretty to match the 383 green of the MUTT. Just got to get off my duff and mount everything. I don't have the R442 yet but have the sponson plate and an NOS mount for it. I still need to buy a CX4720 cable and need to figure out what length, 5' or 6'? and route that cable to begin with. I have bigger problems first, the front suspension bushings are all shot and I need to tear it apart and rebuild. I'm procrastinating and drifting toward radios first as they will give me a little more instant-1 or 2 day finished gratification.