Antenna dumb questions

Want to put radios in your jeep? Discuss it here.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Cav Trooper
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Antenna dumb questions

Unread post by Cav Trooper » August 22nd, 2018, 8:13 pm

If you use the tie down strung between the windshield hinges for an AS1729, what do you do with the tie down while in transit with the antenna deployed? I can't see where you would just let the tie down clip flip around while on the road. Wrap it around a mirror arm? On my M37, the tie down would just clip onto the grill guard while the antenna was up. Also, do you tie the clip in the center or let it float along the cord? Like I said, dumb questions. I can see pictures but nothing up close.

rickf
General
General

Re: Antenna dumb questions

Unread post by rickf » August 23rd, 2018, 9:30 am

Like I said before, the AB-15 is usually used in two sections, not all three so it is manageable for driving. The 1725 is not used while driving, stationary use only. At least while extended, it can be used while drawn down. I have used mine at a mile away from the base in the stowed position while driving. The AB-15 is a receiver antenna only.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 23rd, 2018, 10:48 am

I think that depends entirely upon how your truck is configured. I let my clip float on the cord. If you want your clip biased to one side or the other you need only give the clip a twist before hooking it on the antenna, so the cord is twists below the clip. That will pretty much hold your clip wherever you want it. I'm not sure what kind of cord you're using. Issue, or paracord, or what? Different cords behave differently. If you're using issue cord with your clip I think you'll find the clip has a tendency to stay wherever you put it anyway, due to the pressure. And if it persists in edging over to where you don't want it you can always put a half hitch in it and that's that.

If I have the 50 cal up, I might bias my large antenna to the right side, rather than have it centered because, obviously, centered puts the cord on either side of the gun and the antenna in line with the gun which, in the real world, is definitely not OK. Any other time, I keep my antenna fairly centered when it is tied down.

Also, it is beneficial to have the antenna tied down in such a way that the tip is dipped somewhat below the top of the arch of the antenna rather than having the end of the antenna horizontal and sticking straight out like a lance. (ask me how I know)

When the cord is not in use, there are lots of places to put the clip if you don't want to untie your cord (and why would you want to undo everything anyway?). Of course, for many of us who care about the paint, some of those options aren't all that good. I have used the footman loop but the most positive method seems to be to use drop the 'J' part of the hook into the slot behind the footman loop. It sits there very nicely and you don't even have to tie up the slop in the cord. There's also nothing keeping you from just hooking it onto the wiper arm. There, it is definitely off the paint.

All that said, your question suggests you're thinking about driving with the large antenna up. Not a good idea because that thing is something like 15' in the air, so stowing the cord and clip for movements with the antenna up really isn't a situation I hope you'd encounter. What you WILL encounter while driving around with a 15' antenna are things like tree limbs hanging over the road, traffic lights, bridges and all sorts of other embarrassing 'learning' moments. Safety trumps everything in this hobby.

As with so many things on our trucks, the best thing to do, is to play with it. You'll quickly come to the same conclusions the GIs did, in the same way they did and hopefully not at great expense. Nothing more authentic than learning about your truck through practical use, right?

Cheers,
TJ
Last edited by m3a1 on August 23rd, 2018, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cav Trooper
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by Cav Trooper » August 23rd, 2018, 6:20 pm

Thanks for the ideas, I won't be traveling with the antennas up, only if in a parade or show.[album][/album] The paint is new and I'd like to keep it looking that way, at least for a while. The windshield wiper and footman loop and slot are great ideas. I'm using issued tie down and clip so, I will try the slip method for and see if I need a half hitch are twist to keep it where I want it. I am considering mounting my M2 or M60, it just starts getting pretty crowded in the back if the grandkids want to ride. I really like keeping the top up except if running the mg on display. Not sure how I will end up. On my M37 the 50 looked great and of course I didn't have to think about cab covered or uncovered with it. You guys are a wealth of info for a newbee. Thanks again for the tips.

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » August 23rd, 2018, 7:15 pm

Yep, things get crowded real quick with a gun mount in a MUTT but frankly, I love mine...and, it's nice to know I have it there....just in case the zombies come.

Furthermore, I don't have to ride in the back! Tough noogies for whoever does!

:lol: