RT-196/PRC-6 stuff needed

Want to put radios in your jeep? Discuss it here.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

RT-196/PRC-6 stuff needed

Unread post by m3a1 » May 30th, 2019, 10:31 pm

Seeking several things for a PRC-6 project I'm into -

Replica inspection stamp (Bird in a box)

A source for any and all decals for the case (waterslide Push to Talk, instructions to open pressure relief valve, and foil data plate) I already have a source for aluminum data and pressure relief plates which I would rather not use.

Cheers,
TJ

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: RT-196/PRC-6 stuff needed

Unread post by m3a1 » May 31st, 2019, 10:25 pm

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » June 26th, 2019, 8:06 pm

If you're wondering what primer I'm using (these radios are mostly aluminum with some small steel parts) I'm using Duple-Color (sold by O'Reilly's Automotive). Label says Automotive Primer Series, Self Etching, Maximum Adhesion & Corrosion Resistance, Ideal For Bare Metal, Aluminum & Fiberglass.

This is probably going to be my go-to choice for small aluminum-based projects, simply because it works great and is readily available. It's a little pricey but, as the man said, you get what you pay for.

RAPCO 24087. I'm rather sure this isn't the absolutely correct color for these but I'm happy with it. This one is shiny because the paint has not yet dried.

These are an easy project but there are LOTS of little parts to take care of. I brought these inside to cure the rest of the way, owing to high humidity outside.

It's always a nice moment when things start coming back together.

I'm not a radio guru but I have found that this is the 'correct' set up for cap and antenna, with a small lanyard connecting the two. There is a small, standard sized O-ring at the base of the cap.

Sometimes it's just better to leave well enough alone. The lettering and background color on this switch is original. Unfortunately keeping original markings is often impossible.

This is one of the ways of managing the antenna when you want the radio to be readily at hand.

The capstone on this one is the final addition of the data plates. I got these off of eBay. They have 3M adhesive backs. Originals may have their data plates affixed with screws, or nails. The data plates may also be of foil and other directions may be regular decals.

I ended up with an extra antenna & cap and so, I acquired another radio (can't have a bunch of unused radio parts laying around, right?) This is how it looks after a wipe down. I looked far worse when I dug it out of the pile. Note that this radio came with data plates which were nailed on. I way really happy to find this one as I think original data plates are a huge bonus.

Proper method for stowing the antenna when the radio is not in use. Antenna simple slides beneath the hasps, rolls around the base and the tip secures beneath the catch located just below the push-to-talk switch.

All in all, I felt these were worth doing but as a project, they are kind of like building a plastic model. There are lots of little pieces (and some really tiny ones) to keep track of (pieces that can't easily be replaced) and a there is a lot of time spent doing prep work. Unfortunately, these are now almost too nice for what I originally envisioned as display pieces but, I know once the finish starts wearing in just a bit, they'll look even better and far more realistic.

Surveyor
Terminal

Unread post by Surveyor » June 26th, 2019, 11:31 pm

Looks awesome. DOES IT still work or just for show? Either way, great project. Another paint suggestion I have is alumahyde. Only remember black and maybe gray available when I used it some years ago but cured it was pretty tough stuff.
1960 M151 Run #1
"There is one nut on a M151 that is very difficult to remove....." - K8icu
"She ain't a Cadillac and she ain't a Rolls, But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio" - Aaron Tippin

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » June 27th, 2019, 4:15 am

The one with the original data plates came with a fault tag still attached. My guess is these were the bottom of the barrel and probably all have one problem or another though they are complete (minus battery, of course). Don't know why anyone would want to have a working one of these considering modern radio options which are better performers, quite a bit smaller and far lighter. I just wanted a pair for display and nothing more so, happily, the only issue I had to deal with was presentability.

I am considering buying the whole pile and the only think keeping me from doing that is that not one of them has an antenna and antennas can be rather pricey.