Radio Mount

Want to put radios in your jeep? Discuss it here.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » December 31st, 2007, 11:07 am

Floyd,

I plan on repainting it a 4 color camo pattern. I can always repaint the mount or save it for a later project.

Bill,

I didn't think there was much nit-picking on these vehicles like the WWII stuff. I haven't heard much about people restoring these to show quality and competing like the WWII vehicles.

Tim

Spike
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by Spike » December 31st, 2007, 11:35 am

I don't think incidental items like mounts were done in camo, normally. The radios and radio mounts were in service long before the vehicles started getting camo paint. The radios are fairly obscure and blend well with the pattern. Also when you start asking 18-year-olds to paint stuff; not a lot of care is taken and the last thing you need is paint inside terminals and cap threads. I think painting them is over-doing it and doesn't represent the vehicle properly.

As far as "nit picking" whatever floats your boat, I say. I spent a fortune restoring a nice A1 and put it together the way I remember them. Then I made a few changes for safety, ROPS and decent tires. I didn't use the "HN" batteries and I got rid of the stock air filter and installed a K&N. I'm sure some people have some comments about it, I don't care, it's how I want it.
As iron sharpens iron ...

Horst
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Horst » January 1st, 2008, 3:01 pm

Tim,

As said, mounts and radios will be either OD or CARC 383 green, a 383 green mount probably fits better to an A2 of younger age. I guess you should get that mount, even if you find a better one, you will always able to sell it at the same price. And getting the sponson plates from the other member who did reply is probably also a good idea.

CARC paint is usually marked as such, mainly to protect somebody who decides to sand it without protection or similar things.

Find here a picture of a NOS mount in CARC and marked as such. The sponson plate below it, I got as NOS in OD and I decided to leave it that way.

Concerning staying or getting accurate, I believe that will gradually change. The older those 151 get, the more people will take care about having them restored to how they should look like. The number of 151 will probably get smaller, not larger as there are practically non in service anymore except in near and far east. Over here in Europe the value of badly done 151 dropped very much with the arrival of the "Barstow" Mutts 3 years ago, but did not affect at all the value of good restored (but high mileage) 151s.
Horst

1972 USMC M151A2 w/ROPS (ex Barstow) and M416
1962 M201 and trailer
1966 GTO,1982 E350 Skoolie, 1987 SJ413, 1987 911
Gone: 2xM35A2c, Unimog 404S, Hanomag AL28, DKW Munga