Speaking of radio shelves.............

Want to put radios in your jeep? Discuss it here.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Bill, Idaho
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Speaking of radio shelves.............

Unread post by Bill, Idaho » February 3rd, 2012, 9:29 pm

Ok, I have a gaggle of various VRC (and GRC) stuff. Enough to fill the back of my Gama Goat, as a few of you have seen, and a handful of other MV'S. AND half of a garage full. Mounts, receivers, radios, cables, antennas, antenna bases, antenna mounts,mic's etc. Over the years I have become pretty familiar with these things, and can remember most of them by part nomenclature numbers, (example:.MT1029) I am not bragging, I am merely setting up a reference to my upcoming question.
I was out in my garage cleaning up a "stack-mount", or "shelf" as some call them, and after thinking about the radio-shelf thread, out of curiosity I went out to my Goat to compare the one I was cleaning to the one installed in the Goat. Much to my surprise, the two are considerably different.
Has anyone else noticed more than one style of these? I'm not smart enough to post pictures of the two, but in fact, they are way-different.

moose53
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Speaking of radio shelves.............

Unread post by moose53 » February 4th, 2012, 10:39 am

Bill, Idaho wrote:Ok, I have a gaggle of various VRC (and GRC) stuff. Enough to fill the back of my Gama Goat, as a few of you have seen, and a handful of other MV'S. AND half of a garage full. Mounts, receivers, radios, cables, antennas, antenna bases, antenna mounts,mic's etc. Over the years I have become pretty familiar with these things, and can remember most of them by part nomenclature numbers, (example:.MT1029) I am not bragging, I am merely setting up a reference to my upcoming question.
I was out in my garage cleaning up a "stack-mount", or "shelf" as some call them, and after thinking about the radio-shelf thread, out of curiosity I went out to my Goat to compare the one I was cleaning to the one installed in the Goat. Much to my surprise, the two are considerably different.
Has anyone else noticed more than one style of these? I'm not smart enough to post pictures of the two, but in fact, they are way-different.
can you describe in what way they are different?

Jim
Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032 G838.org

--------------------------------------
1971 G838-M151A2 1966 G857-M416
1968 G748-M101A1 1976 G748-M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

Real jeeps have horizontal grille slots

Bill, Idaho
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by Bill, Idaho » February 4th, 2012, 12:09 pm

Oops, I was in a hurry (technically my wife said I was in a hurry). I should have mentioned the differences. Sorry.
Every other "shelf" I have and have noticed is/was a three piece bolt together affair, about 10" tall, 14.5 wide, and about 12" deep. The bottom of each side has lips about 2" wide in order to bolt underneath the mounting holes for the MT 1029 that the shelf bolts to. In other words, the lips on the bottom of each side of the "shelf" are sandwiched in between the MT1029 and whatever you are mounting the whole thing to.
The odd-ball one I am cleaning up is a one piece thing---side, top, AND bottom. Roughly about 13" deep,17.5 "wide, and 10 3/4" tall. It is made out of a thicker metal. The others are under .100" at the most (without taking a micrometer outside) and the odd-ball is at least .125, if not a shade more.
It has the mounting holes already drilled for an MT1029 and the MT1898 on the bottom (and the top). One side has a hole about 4 inches long and 2 inches tall.
This whole unit came to me with two late model MT1029's and the RT246. Upon close inspection, appears to be as original as can be- not pieced together at a local MV show. It was bolted to a bottom plate, about 5/16" or even 3/8" thick, predrilled with the same holes mentioned above.
Definitely a heavier-duty setup than the more common "shelves" I have (and have seen).

Disclaimer: I just went out and measured with a 6 inch ruler, in my bare feet and a t-shirt, in 20 degree weather........measurements might be a shade "rounded-off" in machinist terms.

moose53
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by moose53 » February 5th, 2012, 3:06 pm

sounds like the mount used in armored vehicles like the M113 APC,,,,

Jim
Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032 G838.org

1971 G838-M151A2 1966 G857-M416
1968 G748-M101A1 1976 G748-M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

Real jeeps have horizontal grille slots