WTB RT-524 Radio Cover CW-649 VRC

Want to put radios in your jeep? Discuss it here.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

WTB RT-524 Radio Cover CW-649 VRC

Unread post by Rainman » August 2nd, 2008, 1:24 pm

Recently at the Mid-Ohio I saw a few RT-524's that were complete with canvas covers. Not the solid canvas ones that are available questionably on ebay, but the one with the front flap that snaps into open position and has the mesh in the rear for the cooling fan vent. The # on these is CW-649 VRC. TBanks had one he wouldn't let go of unless you bought the 524 it was on, and yes I considered buying it and selling the 524 off later. ltsimp, and Bob Croce had them also. They both had MG's mounted too, but I'll settle for just a radio cover. Anyone have availability on one or 2 of these covers?

Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

Jay Mallari
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: WTB RT-524 Radio Cover CW-649 VRC

Unread post by Jay Mallari » August 2nd, 2008, 5:09 pm

I got mine a couple of years ago from Jack Tomlin in Toole, Utah.
Telephone: (801) 882-0420

Rainman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Rainman » August 2nd, 2008, 5:26 pm

Hey Jay,

Thanks for the information. I have heard of him, will give it a try and let you know.

Rainman
M151 World Land Speed Record Holder

Jay Mallari
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread post by Jay Mallari » August 2nd, 2008, 5:49 pm

You're welome Rainman. When you speak to him, just make sure the canvas hasn't got dry rot.
One of the covers I got from him, the snap button came off anld left a hole in the flap when I tried to unbotton it :oops:

Jay

Papakb
civilian

Unread post by Papakb » October 2nd, 2008, 11:53 pm

Rainman,

There are some drawbacks to these covers you may not be aware of. The covers were originally designed to help keep the radios clean and dry when mounted on the back of the vehicles and exposed to the elements. They forgot that there is a circuit inside the radio that turns on the blower when the radios case hits 150 degrees. This isn't that hard in direct sunlight and with the cover in place there's no convection cooling taking place. The fan will run until the case cools down or the batterys die. Unfortunately this usually takes out the A9400 module in the radio as it struggles to keep the fans going as the voltage drops.

What I did in my 151 was to install the "security cover". This is the steel box that the crypto gear was usually mounted on. I then put one of the camo rucksack covers over it to keep things clean.

Kurt Lesser