PRC 77 Mounts

Want to put radios in your jeep? Discuss it here.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

PRC 77 Mounts

Unread post by Cobra5 » March 4th, 2015, 12:05 pm

This question is for you Vietnam vet ground pounders. What is the period correct pack mount for this radio? I see metal racks and canvas packs that have a shelf for the radio to sit on.

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Re: PRC 77 Mounts

Unread post by whiterabbit » March 4th, 2015, 4:05 pm

I hate to say it but that pig of a radio was still around when I came in in "86 and it stuck around for quite a few yrs. after that! It could be slung on the back of the seat in a manpack/carrier designed just for the radio or strapped to an ALCE frame with the shelf on it, or just tossed in a ruck.
Veh. mounting is a whole 'nuther thing.
"It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen. George Patton

1986-2014 Ordnance Corps RETIRED!
XVIII Airborne Corps Combat Affiliation
Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1978 exMOD 109 Land Rover S3 (sold)
1942 WLA
M274 (sold) Big mistake. Sigh....

Papakb
civilian

Unread post by Papakb » April 17th, 2015, 11:28 am

The canvas backpack specifically for the 25/77 is the St-138. The Alice packs and frames were also used to carry the radios in the field. The pack has an internal pocket to hold the radio, the frame used a clip on base shelf and straps to hold the radio in place.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

retiredpara
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by retiredpara » April 23rd, 2015, 8:40 pm

whiterabbit wrote:I hate to say it but that pig of a radio was still around when I came in in "86 and it stuck around for quite a few yrs. after that! It could be slung on the back of the seat in a manpack/carrier designed just for the radio or strapped to an ALCE frame with the shelf on it, or just tossed in a ruck.
Veh. mounting is a whole 'nuther thing.
LOL...I loved humping the radio...Nothing like falling down on a night movement while walking down a slope and having the radio nestled in your ALICE pack make rapid and full on contact with the back of your noggin'...I'm gonna go take an aspirin just thinking of it. Funny you mentioned slinging it on the back of the seat, as we did that a lot unless we couldnt get enough range out of the short whip, or ran out of batteries.