Planning to Get Technician Ham License - - -

Want to put radios in your jeep? Discuss it here.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

bill warren
Private First Class
Private First Class

Planning to Get Technician Ham License - - -

Unread post by bill warren » November 26th, 2015, 1:17 pm

so I can purchase a new mobile 2 Meter Radio with Antenna to use in my M151 A2 which already has a working and installed PCR77 Radio with Amplifier and single mast AS-1729/VRC antenna.

Question for Hams :-)

- The Mutt has a 24 Volt System and is it easy to hook up a new 2 Meter Mobile Unit (that probably uses 12 Volt) to Mutt?

I'm going to start studying for Technician License and should be able to take and pass exam in a month or so so I can proceed. Do any of you have any useful suggestions as I look forward to my new 2016 Hobby :-)

Thanks,
Bill in Blackstone, Mass.

kmam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Planning to Get Technician Ham License - - -

Unread post by kmam » November 29th, 2015, 10:59 am

Bill

There are a couple of ways to do it but my preferred solution is to get a 24 to 12 Volt converter. They are commonly used by truckers to run CB radios and such. Just make sure you get a quality unit as poor quality can fail and place too high a voltage on your radio with disastrous consequences. CBs are usually only about 5 Watts whereas your amateur radio is likely to be 20 or more Watts. You need to be sure the rated amp output of the converter covers the current requirement of the radio with a margin.

Howard
Howard

Daimler Ferret Mk 1/2
AM General M151A2
Austin Champ