M48 MACHINE GUN MOUNT M151

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

9thinfantry
Sergeant
Sergeant

M48 MACHINE GUN MOUNT M151

Unread post by 9thinfantry » September 14th, 2018, 6:16 am

CAN ANYONE HELP
I BOUGHT A REPRODUCTION M48 MACHINE GUN MOUNT TO PUT ON THE PASSENGER SIDE OF MY M151 BUT I AM NOT SURE EXACTLY HOW IT MOUNTS.
DOES ANYONE HAVE ONE MOUNTED ON THERE M151 THAT COULD SEND ME SOME PICTURES OF IT MOUNTED OR INSTRUCTIONS PLEASE.
RESPOND TO: NAM9TH@AOL.COM
THANK YOU

rickf
General
General

Re: M48 MACHINE GUN MOUNT M151

Unread post by rickf » September 14th, 2018, 9:07 am

The M48 was not designed to be used on the M-151, It may have been used on there or something similar was modified to work. I have seen pictures of dash mounted guns but they were certainly not meant to be there. You will have to run without the windshield and keep in mind that the M-151 is just sheet metal, you will have to fabricate sufficient rear supports to keep from tearing the dash even with a non functional gun. Remember, in the service they did not care if the vehicle was damaged.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

9thinfantry
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread post by 9thinfantry » September 14th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Understand that, I saw a M151 at the Ohio convention, 2017, and can't the pictures i took. I saw in person that the windshield can stay up, until you are ready to put the cradle in the m48 mount. Agree that a rear plate will have to be used for support. This will only be used at a show for display purposes.

Above question...... anyone mount a M48 on their M151 series that can send me pictures and instructions they used....thanks-BILL

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » September 14th, 2018, 1:17 pm

This may be of some help. At the very least a good starting point.

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=136259

There is a substantial amount of space behind that dash panel. I'm guessing Guy might even be able to give you some precise measurements if you ask. That mount and yoke would place the weapon fairly high off the mount and it will behave like a cantilever so as Rick said, you're going to have to put some substantial reenforcement in and I'm not just talking about plating but creating some sort of beam that will bolt up to the inside of the firewall and to the inside of the dash panel, and be constructed of metal, no less than the thickness of the mounting plate itself. I've no doubt that will work like a charm.

I would think that the form of that horizontal beam (or beams) behind the dash panel would follow the mounting holes and the angle of the firewall and that beam might actually take the shape of the letter 'V' to follow the shape of the mount. My suggestion...fab it up out of sturdy cardboard including mounting flanges and take it over to your local metal fabricator and let them knock it out for you. Once you have it right, you might even recoup your costs by selling a few on eBay.

Sounds like a fun project. See similar configurations here - http://david.brubakers.us/mutt/muttc.html

Cheers,
TJ