Been doing some practicing

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

raymond
Major General
Major General

Been doing some practicing

Unread post by raymond » June 14th, 2016, 5:06 pm

At my pistol range. :)

Click on image.

Raymond
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

rickf
General
General

Re: Been doing some practicing

Unread post by rickf » June 14th, 2016, 5:44 pm

A little slow on the double tap but is that you or the cycle speed? Only six rounds per clip?
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

csmith
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by csmith » June 14th, 2016, 6:40 pm

Nice...
1976 M151A2 4 Color Cammo Mutt, aquired August 09
1976 or 7? M151A2 "Miss Sandy" Driver, aquired May 2010
Former owner M151A2 "Miss Saigon" Vietnam Rescue Sold Sept 09
Fond appreciation for the M151 Breed!!

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » June 14th, 2016, 7:59 pm

I'm determined to master the art of combat point shooting and after several thousand rounds, it is now starting to sink in. Kind of a cool skill set to have. I do a form that combines point and aim shooting. I primarily just use the front sight. I do it at 10 yards instead of the traditional 7. Been using 3 targets, each about 45 degrees from each other for a total spread of just a little over 90 degrees. I use a paper plate with a 1.5 inch orange stick on spot, and can now put 10 rounds into a paper plate as fast as I can pull the trigger. They are all over the plate, but they are still all on it. Hopefully with more practice, I can tighten the groups. Just doing 6 rounds today as I am also practicing magazine changes.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » June 14th, 2016, 8:06 pm

P.S. if you guys see anything I'm doing wrong, or anything I should do, I'm eager for advice on how to improve. So far, practice and repetition, both live and simulated, have done the most for me.
Raymond

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 14th, 2016, 8:24 pm

Are you setting the front sight in the rear groove or as a lollipop? If you set it as a lollipop where the target is behind the the sight which is just above the groove just like looking at it like a lollipop you can sight faster. Hard to describe, picture three lines side by side with the center line higher than the rest. Some sights have a dot on top and that would be the lollipop above the groove of the rear sights, or the two outer lines. Your target would center behind the dot. It is a lot faster to do that than try to find it in the groove.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » June 15th, 2016, 8:13 am

3 dot sights. Rear is white dots. Front is red fiber optic. Using a 6 o'clock hold so it is essentially 3 dots in a row with the target on top of the front sight. 3 dots in a row with the orange spot on top of the front red dot if you will. Have practiced the draw literally thousands of times. Do it same way, same stance, same grip, etc, until you can do it eyes closed and pistol will naturally point at what you are aiming at when you open eyes. Pistol is a hammer fired double action. Mastered the first double action pull by sitting in front of TV, placing coin on front sight and dry firing in double action mode while trying to not upset coil balance while maintaining aim at target. Guy who taught ccw class I took years ago is a good friend and also a certified pistol instructor. He also does a lot of competition. He has given me some very valuable pointers and exercises to use for improvement. As I said, it is a really fun skill set when you start to be able to do it as a sort of instinct or reflex. I'm just now getting to that point.
Raymond

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 15th, 2016, 5:03 pm

You asked. :roll:
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » June 15th, 2016, 7:45 pm

rickf wrote:You asked. :roll:

Went with the aforementioned sighting plan. The problem with the technique you mention is that if you have a tall front replacement sight, which I have, it really changes point of impact from point aim if you vary distance much.

P.S. I'm using a .22 Ruger Sr 22 almost all the time for CC. I know a lot of you guys don't think much of a .22 for self defense. But I damaged the Ulnar nerve in my right arm. My right pinky, ring finger, and to a lesser extent, right middle finger are numb and tingly much of the time. Firing a center fire pistol without a heavy padded glove makes my hand numb and causes pain for hours if not days. Using a paper plate for target as it is roughly half the width of an average human torso. Getting in an actual shooting situation usually causes your accuracy to halve. So if you can consistently hit a paper plate, you are more likely to hit center of mass in a shooting.

As I said, it is a really fun skill set when you start to be able to do it as a sort of instinct or reflex. After thousands or rounds, and countless hours of practicing, I'm just now getting to that point.
Raymond

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » June 29th, 2016, 8:53 pm

Just had to redownload my video.
Photobucket deleted it :shock:
Have we got to the point that a person can't even put such a video up anymore :?:
Is free speech dead :?:
Raymond

Mr. Recovery
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by Mr. Recovery » June 30th, 2016, 11:35 am

Just keep practicing, you are going to need it! :evil:
Image Image

1960 M151 Run 1
1963 M151 Willys DoD 10-63 in Baltimore
1989 Alley Cat. "work in Progress"
NRA Life Member
American Legion Post 275 Fl
US Army 6 years 2nd Armored Cavalry Bindlach Germany
Colorado Army Nat. Guard 5 years
Md Air Guard 15 years active duty on C-130's

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » June 30th, 2016, 7:01 pm

raymond wrote:Just had to redownload my video.
Photobucket deleted it :shock:
Have we got to the point that a person can't even put such a video up anymore :?:
Is free speech dead :?:
Ok, quick draw, Look up Bob Munden. Prepare to amazed with some of the videos.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed

Bill, Idaho
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread post by Bill, Idaho » June 30th, 2016, 8:52 pm

You asked, so here goes......(my credentials: SWAT/patrol for 24 years. IDPA, spent STUPID amount of money going to high quality training, yada-yada-yada..)
Try to keep your elbow in when during the initial presentation. You should move the garment with your support hand, get a correct grip before the pistol moves. Draw straight up until the weapon clears the holster, tilt the weapon 90 degrees, raising it up with the bore horizontal. The support hand meets the weapon right in front of you-about nipple high. Technically you could take a shot from this point out to full extension. Push it forward as you are getting the front sight where it needs to be, both in relation to the target AND the rear sight. (The sight configuration(s) are a whole different/separate story.)
Reloads: Keep the pistol up, darn near in front of your face. You should NEVER take your eyes off the threat area in front of you. The reload shouldn't need to be looked at. Many profess during the actual reload, the pistol should be up at a 45 degree angle, as well as a 45 degree angle sideways. (Kinda hard to describe). After you last shot, follow up is as important. Keep the threat covered for an extra second or three. Scan 180 in front of you, then scan as much behind you as possible.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » June 30th, 2016, 10:15 pm

Bill, Idaho wrote:You asked, so here goes......(my credentials: SWAT/patrol for 24 years. IDPA, spent STUPID amount of money going to high quality training, yada-yada-yada..)
Try to keep your elbow in when during the initial presentation. You should move the garment with your support hand, get a correct grip before the pistol moves. Draw straight up until the weapon clears the holster, tilt the weapon 90 degrees, raising it up with the bore horizontal. The support hand meets the weapon right in front of you-about nipple high. Technically you could take a shot from this point out to full extension. Push it forward as you are getting the front sight where it needs to be, both in relation to the target AND the rear sight. (The sight configuration(s) are a whole different/separate story.)
Reloads: Keep the pistol up, darn near in front of your face. You should NEVER take your eyes off the threat area in front of you. The reload shouldn't need to be looked at. Many profess during the actual reload, the pistol should be up at a 45 degree angle, as well as a 45 degree angle sideways. (Kinda hard to describe). After you last shot, follow up is as important. Keep the threat covered for an extra second or three. Scan 180 in front of you, then scan as much behind you as possible.
Have most of that down. The reloads with head up, I'm working on, as well as trying to keep up a peripheral scan. Have some 1 on 1 classes scheduled starting in September with the guy I took my CCW class from. He is a certified instructor as well as a pretty serious competitor in the Mo/Illinois/Iowa area. Lately, I seem to have lost a bit of my first shot (double action) accuracy. Still on plate, but not consistently near center. So I've been really working on that. Drawing and firing one shot, double action. My instructor told me that since I have switched to a .22lr pistol because of nerve damage in my right hand, accuracy and shot placement are especially important. He also told me that even he takes classes a couple times a year from someone.
Raymond