AR Lowers Stag-vs-Spike's

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, Mr. Recovery, raymond, moose53

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby WC Matt » August 12th, 2016, 1:04 pm

Considering another AR build project and I'm looking at these two manufactures for the lower. Stag Arms and Spike's tactical. Which one do you prefer & why? have owned both at one time or another and I believe they are quality manufacturers.

Matt
WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Re: AR Lowers Stag-vs-Spike's

Postby fergrn37 » August 12th, 2016, 5:29 pm

No real preference. Right now AIM has Spikes ST15 billet lowers with ambi controls for a mere $399.00. A bit too rich for me though.
Some people are too busy knowing it all to ever learn anything
fergrn37
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

2 years of membership2 years of membership

Postby raymond » August 12th, 2016, 9:10 pm

My el cheapo Anderson in .556 has not had a single fail to feed, fail to fire, fail to eject.

And it was CHEAP.

The Anderson I built with a .22 upper is a jam o matic unless using round nose ammo.
Raymond

Fastest 1967 Ford M151A1 in Pike County!!!!!

"Who is John Galt?"
raymond
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Postby WC Matt » August 12th, 2016, 11:08 pm

fergrn37 wrote:No real preference. Right now AIM has Spikes ST15 billet lowers with ambi controls for a mere $399.00. A bit too rich for me though.

I usually buy stripped lowers & build as needed exactly what I want. Thanks for the heads up, though.
Matt
WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Postby WC Matt » August 12th, 2016, 11:14 pm

raymond wrote:My el cheapo Anderson in .556 has not had a single fail to feed, fail to fire, fail to eject.

And it was CHEAP.

Had one of those Andersons used it in a retro A1 build. In the rear take down pin's recess, a small piece of the receiver broke off allowing the rear take down pin divot & spring to fall out. Almost lost the rear take down pin. So not a super big fan of Anderson. Other than the aforementioned problem, the fit, finish was good on their product.
WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Postby raymond » August 13th, 2016, 10:41 am

WC Matt wrote:
raymond wrote:My el cheapo Anderson in .556 has not had a single fail to feed, fail to fire, fail to eject.

And it was CHEAP.

Had one of those Andersons used it in a retro A1 build. In the rear take down pin's recess, a small piece of the receiver broke off allowing the rear take down pin divot & spring to fall out. Almost lost the rear take down pin. So not a super big fan of Anderson. Other than the aforementioned problem, the fit, finish was good on their product.

Even with that problem, you could have 7 spares with an Anderson instead of Spike's.

P.S. I know of an awful lot of Anderson's getting used and abused on a weekly basis during cooler weather around here.
Raymond

"Who is John Galt?"
raymond
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Postby WC Matt » August 13th, 2016, 3:13 pm

Yeah but using your logic, Raymond I could just pick up the one Spike's & not need to have the seven spare Andersons for repair/replacement. When the first one breaks. Not saying it will, but....

I can pick up a stripped Spike's (or Stag) for under $100.00 bucks (dealer cost) and while that is two to three times the going rate for an Anderson, I'm a firm believer in that you get what you pay for.

Anderson makes a good receiver and I haven't talked with them about mine yet, but I'm sure they'll stand behind it. if not, I'm out $35.00 bucks. However this thread isn't about Anderson it's about Spike's vs Stag. Do you have a prefrence for one over the other between those two manufactures?

Matt
WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Postby raymond » August 13th, 2016, 9:37 pm

Anderson is the only stripped lower I have messed with. I have messed around with Colt and Smith and Wesson some though. On the Colt, I removed the sear block.

Raymond
Raymond

"Who is John Galt?"
raymond
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Return to Weapons