AR Lowers Stag-vs-Spike's

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

AR Lowers Stag-vs-Spike's

Unread post by WC Matt » August 12th, 2016, 2:04 pm

Considering another AR build project and I'm looking at these two manufactures for the lower. Stag Arms and Spike's tactical. Which one do you prefer & why? have owned both at one time or another and I believe they are quality manufacturers.

Matt

fergrn37
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: AR Lowers Stag-vs-Spike's

Unread post by fergrn37 » August 12th, 2016, 6:29 pm

No real preference. Right now AIM has Spikes ST15 billet lowers with ambi controls for a mere $399.00. A bit too rich for me though.
Some people are too busy knowing it all to ever learn anything

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » August 12th, 2016, 10:10 pm

My el cheapo Anderson in .556 has not had a single fail to feed, fail to fire, fail to eject.

And it was CHEAP.

The Anderson I built with a .22 upper is a jam o matic unless using round nose ammo.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » August 13th, 2016, 12:08 am

fergrn37 wrote:No real preference. Right now AIM has Spikes ST15 billet lowers with ambi controls for a mere $399.00. A bit too rich for me though.
I usually buy stripped lowers & build as needed exactly what I want. Thanks for the heads up, though.
Matt

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » August 13th, 2016, 12:14 am

raymond wrote:My el cheapo Anderson in .556 has not had a single fail to feed, fail to fire, fail to eject.

And it was CHEAP.
Had one of those Andersons used it in a retro A1 build. In the rear take down pin's recess, a small piece of the receiver broke off allowing the rear take down pin divot & spring to fall out. Almost lost the rear take down pin. So not a super big fan of Anderson. Other than the aforementioned problem, the fit, finish was good on their product.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » August 13th, 2016, 11:41 am

WC Matt wrote:
raymond wrote:My el cheapo Anderson in .556 has not had a single fail to feed, fail to fire, fail to eject.

And it was CHEAP.
Had one of those Andersons used it in a retro A1 build. In the rear take down pin's recess, a small piece of the receiver broke off allowing the rear take down pin divot & spring to fall out. Almost lost the rear take down pin. So not a super big fan of Anderson. Other than the aforementioned problem, the fit, finish was good on their product.
Even with that problem, you could have 7 spares with an Anderson instead of Spike's.

P.S. I know of an awful lot of Anderson's getting used and abused on a weekly basis during cooler weather around here.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » August 13th, 2016, 4:13 pm

Yeah but using your logic, Raymond I could just pick up the one Spike's & not need to have the seven spare Andersons for repair/replacement. When the first one breaks. Not saying it will, but....

I can pick up a stripped Spike's (or Stag) for under $100.00 bucks (dealer cost) and while that is two to three times the going rate for an Anderson, I'm a firm believer in that you get what you pay for.

Anderson makes a good receiver and I haven't talked with them about mine yet, but I'm sure they'll stand behind it. if not, I'm out $35.00 bucks. However this thread isn't about Anderson it's about Spike's vs Stag. Do you have a prefrence for one over the other between those two manufactures?

Matt

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » August 13th, 2016, 10:37 pm

Anderson is the only stripped lower I have messed with. I have messed around with Colt and Smith and Wesson some though. On the Colt, I removed the sear block.

Raymond
Raymond