New range toy.

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

raymond
Major General
Major General

New range toy.

Unread post by raymond » March 18th, 2017, 5:54 pm

This part of the board has been dead lately, so here is something new.

New Rock River Arms LAR 9 pistol. 7 1/2 inch barrel. Eotech EXPS3 holo site. KAK Industries Shockwave Blade AR 15 pistol "wrist stabilizer" :roll: Rise Armament drop in trigger. KNS antiwalk pins. Ambidextrous selector. Kaw Valley linear compensator. Nitecore MT1A flashlight (like staring into the sun). Single point sling. BCM Gunfighter oversize ambidextrous latch. Magpul angled foregrip. Hogue grip. Dedicated lower, i.e. does not use a magazine well adapter. Uses Colt system so it has last shot bolt hold open.

Just sighted it in. Shoots like a dream. Not a single stoppage, but only 125 rounds so far. Shot some old early 1990's Norinco 124 gr FMJ and some CCI 115 gr FMJ. From bench, it puts 5 shots on a 8 inch paper plate at 75 yards. Not bad for a 7 1/2 inch barrel. 8)

Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Re: New range toy.

Unread post by m3a1 » March 19th, 2017, 5:47 pm

Very nice, but you're missing out on something really good if you don't have a BAD lever. Makes staying on target during mag swaps a breeze. No more slapping that bolt release!

And you might wanna consider getting some sights on that thing because the day may come when your battery dies. Murphy's Law and all.....

Cheers,
TJ

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 19th, 2017, 6:22 pm

m3a1 wrote:Very nice, but you're missing out on something really good if you don't have a BAD lever. Makes staying on target during mag swaps a breeze. No more slapping that bolt release!

And you might wanna consider getting some sights on that thing because the day may come when your battery dies. Murphy's Law and all.....

Cheers,
TJ
I shoot left handed so no BAD lever needed. I can hit the bolt release with my trigger finger. What is needed for lefty use is an ambidextrous magazine release.
And going to a gun show this Saturday in St. Charles Mo. Plan to look for flip up BUIS there. I have a rubber plug that fits the bottom of the grip and I keep a spare battery there.

Really bought it as a range toy. I keep a pistol for home defense. Pistol is smaller and easier to use in tight quarters.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 19th, 2017, 7:21 pm

Home defense, short barreled 12 gauge. First shot #6 second and third shot 00Buck. Very little chance of missing. The first shot disarms and the second takes care of the rest.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 19th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Mossberg 930 semi automatic. Always a crowd=pleaser!

Seven rounds in the magazine, one up the pipe and one ghost-loaded beneath the feed ramp. That's NINE rounds of 12 gauge in whatever flavor yer dishin' out, just as fast as you care to pull the trigger......for when you want to kill EVERYONE in the room. And it kicks no worse than yer daddy's M1 Garand so you can shoot it all day and still be able to heft that beer up to your mouth at dinner time. Can't really call that home defense, tho. It's more like thinning the herd.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 19th, 2017, 8:26 pm

You have to remember, I live in NJ. Three rounds and one in the chamber. In the house ONLY.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 19th, 2017, 9:47 pm

At short ranges, like in a house, the spread of a shotgun blast is not very wide. And recoil makes follow up shots more difficult if you miss. Combine that with the length of the weapon, and a pistol still makes a better weapon.

Oh, and if you wish to ever hear again without a hearing aid, definitely a pistol.
Raymond

m3a1
Lt. General
Lt. General

Unread post by m3a1 » March 19th, 2017, 10:31 pm

Too late. The Taliban already made sure my hearing was messed up. Of course, the bums were trying for an alternative outcome. Inshallah, baby! :lol: :lol: :lol:

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 19th, 2017, 11:14 pm

As per my post title, it is a range toy.

I bought it because I wanted it. And it is my right as an American citizen to do so.

And boy does it shoot sweet 8)

Rick, you ought to try moving to a free state. Get out of the People's Republic of New Jersey. :idea:
Raymond

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 19th, 2017, 11:27 pm

BTW, the Kaw Valley linear compensator really does a good job of redirecting the sound toward the front from a 7 1/2 inch barrel. Especially compared to an A2 flash hider that kicks much of the sound out the sides through the vent holes. Can't believe ATF hasn't put some sort of control on them and made them NFA items. I'm going to fit the rest of my AR pattern rifles with them. It essentially kicks all the sound directly forward. Noticeable, even with electronic noise cancelling ear muffs. And as a shooter, you don't feel the pressure wave you normally get from a center fire cartridge gun.

And anyone on the side of you at the range will thank you.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw_Va ... 36-blk.htm
Raymond