Pretty dead in here

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Re: Pretty dead in here

Unread post by sherwan_88 » March 17th, 2009, 6:38 am

rickf wrote:A guy took a shot at a moving deer without leaving both eyes open and did not see that the deer ran between him and me. I was lucky because the deer and brush got most of the pellets. I got a few in my leg. I also had another incident where a guy almost shot me out of my tree stand, 30 feet up!!!! I watched this guy for a half hour just walking in circles looking for anything that moved I guess. Next thing I know he swung around and blasted the tree right under my feet. I blasted three holes in the ground right next to him making he drop his gun and piss himself at the same time. I climbed down, took his gun and ripped his license from his jacket and took them to the ranger station. The head ranger who knew me well asked if I had shot the guy, I told him no I didn't but I should have. They found him still standing in the same spot that I had left him. He told them he saw a deer and shot at it. The ranger pointed out to him that deer do not climb trees and off to court he went.
That was the last time I hunted in NJ. That was in Wharton forest Jim, I am sure you remember that area well.

Rick
What happened to the guy who's shot actually hit you?
I wonder what kind of an idiot would he be, who think's that deer climb a trees!

Sherwan
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)
Muttless at the moment. :(
The Last Of Its Kind. A Ton Of American Steel.

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 17th, 2009, 7:26 am

The guy who hit me while shooting the running deer was all apologies and nothing ever came of it. I was fine with it, it was an accident and he learned from it. The police came to the same conclusion. The police get involved when you go to a hospital with a gunshot wound. The guy who almost shot me out of the tree went to jail for six months and is permanently banned from hunting. Plus he had all of his guns confiscated. I don't know if he ever got them back or if he is allowed to own a gun. I would guess not considering he is now a felon and in this country felons are not allowed to own guns. He is lucky, where he shot the tree made him an idiot. If he had shot 12 inches higher it would have made him a murderer!

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » March 17th, 2009, 8:01 am

Here too the police has to get involved in case of a gunshot wound, other wise the hospital won't treat.
Good for him he got jail time. Over here too weapons are confiscated when one is declared a felon.
You are one lucky guy to be alive my friend, first Vietnam, then also these two near death experiences. You have a guardian angel looking over you.
Can't even imagine whats it like to even get shot at!

Sherwan
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)
Muttless at the moment. :(
The Last Of Its Kind. A Ton Of American Steel.

toptiger
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by toptiger » March 17th, 2009, 2:06 pm

rick, in florida {perhaps elsewhere, too, i don't know} all a felon has to do to get a gun is to go to a gun show, and there are many near me- I try and go once or twice a year. Anyone can go and select from the many thousands for sale- cash, no background check, no age check.
While I am all for gun rights and legal carry - I do find it hard to support the gun show option- what would a few days delay for a background check before getting a gun really hurt?...unless you are a felon, it is only a minor inconvenience, no?
Author M-151 MUTT, The Vietnam Jeep
Paper edition http://www.blurb.com/books/1646321
IOS ebook iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id598605516
2 M151A2s, M416 trailer, M274A5 Mule,
Former Army Aviator, Bien Hoa, VN 1968-69
Mustang Gunship Platoon Commander
68th Assault Helicopter Company 'Top Tigers'
Central Florida and France

MUTT Vet
Sergeant Major of the "G"
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Unread post by MUTT Vet » March 17th, 2009, 2:17 pm

Top,

You mentioned legal carry. In most every state, if you have a concealed carry permit you don't have to wait to purchase a gun.

The background checks are done at the time of getting the permit. So it's walk in, buy the gun you want, and walk out same day as long as your permit is current.

If you get charged with a felony your permit is voided.
Eric
***My Jeep won a war, your CJ delivers my mail***
------------------------------------
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
NRA, 1999 (#: 39234404)
MVPA (#: 34922)
------------------------------------
M151A2 super MUTT (stolen)
M151A2 regular MUTT (in works)
Harley Davidson WLA w/ sidecar
M-37 x 2

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » March 17th, 2009, 2:48 pm

There is no such thing as a gun show in NJ. What does that tell you about my beloved state? :evil:

I agree Top, I never had a problem waiting for a permit.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

moose53
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by moose53 » March 17th, 2009, 5:25 pm

(rant on) here in NY you fill out a form and the dealer calls in your info for an instant background check so no problems here. I don't have a problem with a waiting period either as it may help avert some crimes of passion by creating a cool down period. I gotta say though, that the criminals aren't going to go to guns shows or anywhere else legitimate for their weapons. When they arrange through their sources for the drugs etc. to be delivered to them, them just add on whatever else they need like automatic weapons, handguns etc. Laws only effect the law abiding.... the lawless just don't care... actually though thats not true, the more the anti-gun people have their way the safer it is to rob and harm people. Look at the malls and schools etc that were made "no gun zones", they've become shooting galleries because the bad guys know everyone in there is unarmed and no risk to them. Australia just recently made their citizens turn in all their weapons. Violent crime had been steadily decreasing every year prior to this. Now, australia wide- homicides are up 6.2 percent, assaults are up 9.6 percent, and armed robberies are up 44 percent. Home invasions have increased as well. England experienced the same results too. The more legal guns disappear, the more enabled the criminals are. Its easy to be a tough guy when the prey can't shoot back! all right I'm okay now hehehe
(rant off)

Jim
Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032 G838.org

--------------------------------------
1971 G838-M151A2 1966 G857-M416
1968 G748-M101A1 1976 G748-M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

--------------------------------------
Real jeeps have horizontal grille slots

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 17th, 2009, 7:20 pm

I differ from you guys in that I do not agree with waiting periods. In this day and age and with the technology we have, there is no reason every state cannot have an instant background check at the dealers place of business. That is how it works in Mo., even at gun shows. If you have to have a waiting period for a right enshrined in the U.S. Constitution, perhaps you should have a waiting period and a permit to go to church or vote or publish a newspaper. Let's face it, religion, politicians, and poorly conceived ideas (think Karl Marx) are what causes more violence and death in the world than small arms in the hands of private citizens. The weapons are merely the instrument implemented by religious fanatics, politicians, and poeple who adhere to a fundamentalist political doctrine that does not tolerate dissenting ideas.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus