Looking for .22LR AR15 upper

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

homerguy
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Looking for .22LR AR15 upper

Unread post by homerguy » October 19th, 2009, 9:55 pm

He still has uppers. He advertised one recently in M4 configuration on sturmgewehr. HE makes a great product

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 22nd, 2009, 3:53 pm

Just saw an add in American RIfleman that Sig is now making a 22 version of the 556.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009 ... r-sig-550/
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » October 23rd, 2009, 2:01 pm

Wow! That I like.

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 23rd, 2009, 3:05 pm

I've been doing a lot of research and it looks like nobody makes a full size and length AR15 upper in .22LR with the standard A2 sights. Colt/Umarex do made a full size .22LR version of the M16/AR15A2 though. It looks like I will try to get one when I can find one. Here is a link to the one I am going to try to buy.

http://www.colt22rimfire.com/index.php? ... -m16-rifle
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » October 23rd, 2009, 3:14 pm

Raymond
I just purchased one of those S&W M15-22s about an hour ago*. Going to shoot it later on this evening (or maybe tomorrow) so I'll post my findings here. The S&W is configured like an M4 so I know it's not what you're looking for but, it does perform very well(so I've been told) and was under $500.00 bucks. The Colts in .22LR really do look the part, but I've heard bad things about them from two different gun dealers now. Also take into account that the Colt in .22 LR costs as much as one in 5.56X45mm.

Matt

* between my buddy and this thread I was inspired 8) :lol:

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 23rd, 2009, 7:45 pm

Matt

I looked at S&W website and it looks to me like the S&W doesn't have a flash hider. Also, I like the standard stock as opposed to the collapsing stock. It is easier to get a cheeck weld on it. There is a big gun show in St. Charles Mo. on Nov 6,7,and 8. This one is usually the biggest one in the St. Louis Mo area for the year. I will probably make my decision there.
Raymond

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » October 23rd, 2009, 8:02 pm

raymond wrote:Matt

I looked at S&W website and it looks to me like the S&W doesn't have a flash hider. Also, I like the standard stock as opposed to the collapsing stock. It is easier to get a cheeck weld on it. There is a big gun show in St. Charles Mo. on Nov 6,7,and 8. This one is usually the biggest on in the St. Louis Mo area for the year. I will probably make my decision there.
Raymond
That's fine. If finances permit, I'd like to add one of the Colts to the stable (Ha!.. get it?) as well. maybe even one of those AKs :wink:

Matt

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » October 27th, 2009, 12:29 pm

In case anyone was following this tread but not posting.. The S&W M&P15-22 is the .22LR variant of that company's AR15 clone. The rifle feels just like the 5.56X45 mm version save for the polymer upper and lower receiver. It doesn't have a flash hider( :( ) but does sport the "trash rails" on the reciever top and hand guards. Rifle comes equipped with removable iron sites. Sighting it in at 25 yards I was able to keep the rounds in a 1" X 1" square which I could probably do better if I applied myself. From off hand, one could easily put that same # or rounds into the head or a siloette target from the same distance as above. We (a friend and me) ran a couple of hunderd rounds of "American Eagle" mfg'd .22LR ammo through this rilfe with out a failure to feed or failure to fire.

My plans for this rifle are to mount a sling, cheap red dot sight on it and maybe have a smith thread it for a flash suppressor and definately, buy more mags for it.

Matt

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » November 9th, 2009, 11:37 am

Well, I went to the gun show Saturday and handled several SW MP 15 22 rifles and a couple of the Colt Umarex M4s. I also talked to my machine gun dealer and he said DO NOT buy the Colt Umarex as he has sold a couple in the shop and they have been sent back to Colt. I bought the Smith (liked the sight picture better) and shot it yesterday. It fails to extract which causes failure to feed on about every 3rd round. I tried a variety of ammo and manufacture with no change in results. I even had the extractor, pin, and spring fly out of the weapon. It is going back to Smith and Wesson and they promised a quick turn around. I will wait on final judgement til I get it back. There can be a bad part on any piece of new machinery and I prefer to give them a chance to make it right. Still makes one mad though. I read on several blogs that extractor failures have been common on the earliest made ones. Where is the quality control. Something like this should have come to light during R and D. The shame is, it really is a fun gun to shoot when it cycles properly. It is also extremely accurate. I bet it could shoot with my heavy barrel Ruger 1022. More as the situation develops.
Raymond

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » November 26th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Update

I got the Smith and Wesson back yesterday. 2 week turnaround to the day. Not bad considering it has to be sent ground all the way from Missouri to Massachusetts. They also gave me a second free magazine and a loaded chamber indicator. The rifle now operates flawlessly unless you try to fire any of that cheap piece of crap Remington bulk ammo. I bought a box of Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack last spring when any ammo was hard to find and it won't fire worth a darn in anything I own including this one. Approximately one round in 7 fails to fire. The firing pin is striking it quite hard, and it leaves one heck of a dent in the case where it hits it. When it does fire, you can tell some of the shells are loaded hotter than the other by the sound of the report and the feel of the action. I knew I shouldn't have bought cheap bulk pack ammo. I had similar problems a decade ago with bulk Federal Lightning 22 shells. Anyway, this gun is now my favorite gun. It is a pleasure to shoot, and I fired about 300 rounds through it today using some ammo I had never fired before. It is made in Mexico and is called Centurion. It fires just as good as the Winchester that I normally like to use. I have never had any problems with Winchester ammo, and so far the Centurion fires just as well.

http://www.dkgtrading.com/centurion/22lr.html

Here's a picture of the rifle. It didn't come with a front sling swivel, but I picked one up at the gunshow when I bought it. I also added the flash hider for an AR 15 I had. It is held on by a slip on thread adapter that I also got at the gunshow when I bought the weapon. Smith and Wesson told me they would have a slip on flash hider for sale later this year.

Raymond

ccandgc
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread post by ccandgc » November 27th, 2009, 12:47 am

I have a Spikes Tactical upper for my kids to use on my AR, and I actually really like ot myself! Top notch stuff!

chad
-Chad
1971 AMG M151A2 Mutt
1966 Stevens M416

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » November 28th, 2009, 12:50 pm

Raymond
Welcome to S&W M&P15/22 country! Here, you'll find the skys are bluer, girls are prettier and steak just tastes better....... :P . Glad everything worked out for you on this. Been thinking about heading to the range this weekend with the FAL maybe bring the 15/22 along to.
Matt