Looking for .22LR AR15 upper

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

raymond
Major General
Major General

Looking for .22LR AR15 upper

Unread post by raymond » October 19th, 2009, 2:05 pm

Who makes a good AR15 .22LR upper :?: Not looking for a conversion kit to use with my .223 upper. I want a dedicated .22LR one that is well made, does not use a clumsy magazine, and is easy to load. Not looking for one that is a flat top. I want the standard A2 sights.

Edit, it will go on my late model Colt with large pins.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Re: Looking for .22LR AR15 upper

Unread post by Motorcityman » October 19th, 2009, 2:35 pm

There are three big boys on dedicated .22 uppers. Of the three I have heard the best things about Spikes, they will build you one in any configuration you want, model 1 sales will too. I have heard great things about spikes customer service though. For the most part all three companies sell them with flat tops to mount optics to.

Spkies: http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.p ... Path=72_73

CMMG: http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?ca ... 18&cat=81&

Model 1 sales: http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail. ... N=34042157

Whatever you do, get one that will take blackdog machine magazines, they are the top in the industry. I don't have a dedicated upper, I have a conversion kit and use it with great success and I use the black dog mags. I also have a WASR22 that I use the black dog mags with.

I've also heard good things about COLT's new .22 AR15 they came out with. It's about the same price as a dedicated upper, u can find good deals on them if you hunt around. I just looked it up on Gunbroker.com and copied the first one I saw for you.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =143414971

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » October 19th, 2009, 4:35 pm

Raymond
I'm affraid I'm not much help on a dedicated .22 LR upper for an AR. I've handled both the Smith-&-Wesson and the Colt .22 LR AR rifles. Reports I initially got back on the Colts wasn't good. lots of jams & FTFs but this later turned out to be an ammunition issue and not the weapon's fault. After a switch was made to another brand, the Colt functioned flawlessly (Owner's words, not mine).

The S&Ws I looked at exibited quality workmanship and handled just like a real AR. Price for the Smith was considerably cheaper than the Colt at $449.00 to the Colt's $700 and change price tag.

Have you had a chance to handle/shoot one of those PPSH41 clones* made by Puma in .22 LR? Was wondering what you thought of them.

* well to be fair, they bear more of a resemblence to the Finish Suomi(sp?) SMG on which the Soviets based their design.
Matt
Last edited by WC Matt on October 20th, 2009, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 19th, 2009, 5:25 pm

Matt

I haven't handled or shot any of the .22 rifles or uppers. Nor have I shot the PPsh or even the new HK MP5 style .22 rifle. I am hoping someone here or over at G503 has some experience with a dedicated upper that I can put on my Colt lower. It is an old H Bar sporter that I bought and tricked out for DCM matches. At the time you could not buy a good dedicated DCM match rifle. You had to buy a good heavy barrel rifle and build your own. I added a match trigger and a free floating hand guard system to mine.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » October 19th, 2009, 5:48 pm

raymond wrote:Matt

I haven't handled or shot any of the .22 rifles or uppers. Nor have I shot the PPsh or even the new HK MP5 style .22 rifle. I am hoping someone here or over at G503 has some experience with a dedicated upper that I can put on my Colt lower. It is an old H Bar sporter that I bought and tricked out for DCM matches. At the time you could not buy a good dedicated DCM match rifle. You had to buy a good heavy barrel rifle and build your own. I added a match trigger and a free floating hand guard system to mine.
Raymond
OK thought I'd ask. I consider you to be the "gun guy" here on the G838 (no offence to others). I used to own one of those German built .22 LR MP5 knock offs. Lots of fun but just found out that H&K is sueing them so there'll be no more made. Proof that H&K is the "smooth muscle" of the firearms world....
Matt

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 19th, 2009, 5:57 pm

Hadn't heard that on the HK style .22 http://www.gsg5rifle.com/item/77083_Ame ... Carbi.aspx
Personally, I think they are ugly with the fake sound suppressor. I think it would be a better looking rifle if they would manufacture a longer handguard to cover up the barrel. It would increase accuracy by lengthening the sight radius also. But if they are about the be sued out of existence, it is a moot point. I just don't see how they could be sued though, I would think the standard HK design would now be considered in the public realm the way the G3, FAL, M14, AK, or AR platform are.
Raymond

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » October 19th, 2009, 6:54 pm

raymond wrote:Hadn't heard that on the HK style .22 http://www.gsg5rifle.com/item/77083_Ame ... Carbi.aspx
Personally, I think they are ugly with the fake sound suppressor. I think it would be a better looking rifle if they would manufacture a longer handguard to cover up the barrel. It would increase accuracy by lengthening the sight radius also. But if they are about the be sued out of existence, it is a moot point. I just don't see how they could be sued though, I would think the standard HK design would now be considered in the public realm the way the G3, FAL, M14, AK, or AR platform are.
Raymond
The rifle is the variant I owned and always thought would be a great candidate for an SBR conversion. The fake suppressor was done to cover up the 16" barrel and gives the weapon the overall appearance of a "Navy model" MP5 w/ suppressor. They also made a pistol variant with the short barrel and no butt stock.

Not sure if the company is going to be "sued out of existence" or just ordered to stop making the MP5 clones. Funny thing is, I wonder if any of the other companies that have made their living off of copying H&K designs going to be sued as well? Think: Veltor arms or Century arms.
Matt

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by Motorcityman » October 19th, 2009, 6:55 pm

The gsg5 is a fun little rifle, being the fact that ammo prices have been so high they are a good alternative for plinking and training. It is a fact that no more will be imported, instant good investment, buy one now for 500 and in a year sell it for 800 or more :shock: They do have an MP5SD model, I fired one two weeks ago and it looks just like an SD, the fake silencer is more appealing compared to the slim fake silencer on the standard models.

I'm a big fan of the WASR22, some have there issues but most if not all can be tweaked out. Mine runs like a champ, its a full sized AK and is excellent for training first time shooters due to zero recoil. I bought mine from Dunhams sports for 229.00 on sale. They come with an ugly butthole stock but since they are exempt from .922 regulations you can put any stock set you want and build one into any configuration you want. I went with an East German look on mine..

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » October 19th, 2009, 7:29 pm

Motorcityman
I was always curious as to weather or not real Ak furniture would fit on those .22 cal clones. Funny with that magazine, it looks like a 5.45X39mm AK74 8) . I will most deffinatly give that a closer look.
Matt

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by Motorcityman » October 19th, 2009, 7:47 pm

WC Matt wrote:Motorcityman
I was always curious as to weather or not real Ak furniture would fit on those .22 cal clones. Funny with that magazine, it looks like a 5.45X39mm AK74 8) . I will most deffinatly give that a closer look.
Matt
It is actually a wasr2 (5.45x39) magazine with the top cut off and a 22 insert put in it, it's only ten rounds. I do have the black dog machine mags though and they are 30 round capacity. The wasr22 has the same receiver as all other AK's except for the lower bolt guide rails. Other than that it's the same, dimples and all.

homerguy
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread post by homerguy » October 19th, 2009, 8:04 pm

This guy makes the best dedicated upper for .22 They are the BOMB.COM. Much fun in F/A!
http://www.kuehlprecisionfirearms.com/

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 19th, 2009, 9:10 pm

homerguy wrote:This guy makes the best dedicated upper for .22 They are the BOMB.COM. Much fun in F/A!
http://www.kuehlprecisionfirearms.com/

I just got off his website and it looks like he is getting out of the 22 lr AR upper business.
Raymond

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 19th, 2009, 9:12 pm

Motorcityman

I think I'll stay away from an AK style rifle. I like rear peep sights. Nice looking rifle though 8)
Raymond

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » October 19th, 2009, 9:14 pm

Matt

What did you think of the sight picture of the drum sight on the MP5 clone as opposed to the AR15 style of peep sights :?:
Raymond

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » October 19th, 2009, 9:38 pm

raymond wrote:Matt

What did you think of the sight picture of the drum sight on the MP5 clone as opposed to the AR15 style of peep sights :?:
Raymond
IMHO the AR has the best type of sites out there for that platform (5.56X45mm). The drum site on the H&K isn't too bad (better than what's on an FAL* or AK). If I recall, it was kind of hard getting down low enough on that rear site to really use it well (if that makes any sense). The claw mounts for optics that H&K uses raise the scope up so high it's hard to get a good stock weld without a cheak piece. With a cheak piece, if you have to transition to iron sites, it's in the way.

Ya' know Raymond, since you started this thread, I've been jonez'n for a .22 LR AR now. Thanks alot,buddy!
Matt