STG 44 22

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

raymond
Major General
Major General

Re: STG 44 22

Unread post by raymond » April 3rd, 2013, 4:10 pm

Just got finished with sighting it in. The trigger is what everyone on the internet says. It has a lot of slack, lot of takeup, heavy pull, clean break, followed by a lot of overtravel. I fired around 75 rounds without any failures, and that was using cheap bulk pack ammo. Had to set the rear sight at 800 meters as others on the internet had to do. But it is very accurate. Using a bench and rest, it made groups around the size of a half dollar at 20 yards. Not bad considering the ammo and the trigger. And the weight makes follow up shots easy as the rifle does not move or jump when fired. Never really liked rear notch sights, but with the inverted v front sight, this one has me reversing my opinion. I have always liked open sights, but my eyes are getting such that I have a hard time focusing on the front sight and the bullseye. I'm going to have to raid my daughter's fingernail polish for some bright orange or pink to start painting the front sights of my firearms. All in all, a very fun rifle.

Raymond
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 13th, 2013, 11:40 am

Update

After firing several hundred rounds in it, I think this is starting to be my favorite rifle, replacing my SW MP 15-22. The trigger is smoothing out to be one of the best factory trigger on a rifle I've had. I'm starting to like the trigger more than the M14 or M1 Garand, which in my opinion, are the standard to judge others. One thing about it is it's ammunition sensitivity. It definitely does not like standard velocity ammunition, especially heavy 40 grain stuff like Winchester T22 Target or any match ammunition. What it prefers is high velocity stuff with 36 grain bullet max weight. And it really likes hyper velocity stuff like CCI Stingers and Remington Yellow Jackets. This leads me to believe that it could use a slightly less powerful operating spring. The best thing about it is one of the things that is also it's biggest drawback. It is heavy. It does not budge when you fire it. But the weight holds the rifle on target and makes fast follow up shots easy. I painted the back of the front sight post and this has helped with my tired eyes. All in all, an excellent rifle if you stick to 36 grain or lighter high velocity shells.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » April 13th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Raymond, you keep referring to your tired old eyes, what the hell are going to do when you get as old as me? Or even worse........as old as Top and Mr. Recovery? And to go to the extreme...................................... Wait for it....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................keep waiting, remember, he is really old....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Fil Bonica!

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » April 13th, 2013, 6:37 pm

Rick

I am 48. I used to wear thick glasses. I was very near sighted. Then, when I was 35, I had LASIK done and it even corrected my astigmatism. I wore glasses so long, that for months after the operation, I would instinctively reach for my glasses as soon as I woke up. Before the operation, the doctor who did it told me I would need reading glasses when I turned 40, in essence, I was trading severe near sightedness for mild far sightedness. He said if I didn't have the operation, I would need bifocals by 40. He was right on the money. I keep a pair of dollar store readers at hand at all times. But being somewhat far sighted beats the near sightedness with a heavy astigmatism. And wearing glasses when I want to see fine detail close to me beats wearing glasses all the time. I even had a pair of prescription lenses in my swim goggles. And it's nice to wear regular sunglasses. But I am getting to the point that I have trouble focusing on the front sight and the target at the same time unless I am using an aperture rear sight. Painting the front sight a bright color helps. I am currently investigating a fairly new procedure to cure the near sightedness, and once again not have to wear glasses of any sort.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/inserts.htm

To get back to the STG 44, I don't seem to have as much problems with the sights as I have with a rear notch sight. And the German workmanship is very apparent.
Raymond