Mikhail Kalashnikov dies.

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

raymond
Major General
Major General

Mikhail Kalashnikov dies.

Unread post by raymond » December 23rd, 2013, 1:53 pm

Mikhail Kalashnikov died today at age 94.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB1 ... 4199448756
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Mikhail Kalashnikov dies.

Unread post by WC Matt » December 23rd, 2013, 5:23 pm

Beat me to it, Raymond. I was on my way here to post this......
Matt

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by whiterabbit » December 23rd, 2013, 7:00 pm

I tip my hat to the man who brought us the most dependable, most recognizable assault rifle the world has ever seen. It truly was/is a common sense design. "when you positively, absolutely have to kill every mother flocker in the room" there is only one real choice.
Must be a strange feeling to see one idea you come up with continue on like the AK for so long.
"It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen. George Patton

1986-2014 Ordnance Corps RETIRED!
XVIII Airborne Corps Combat Affiliation
Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1978 exMOD 109 Land Rover S3 (sold)
1942 WLA
M274 (sold) Big mistake. Sigh....

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » December 23rd, 2013, 10:22 pm

The AK is a love/hate thing with most GI's still alive today. Anyone in a war in the last 60 years has gone up against it but at the same time we all admire the fact that it is the ultimate warrior's weapon. Freeze it, drop it in the mud, fill it with sand, it will always fire.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

whiterabbit
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Unread post by whiterabbit » December 25th, 2013, 3:21 pm

The one thing I loved about it was how inaccurate it was, esp when they were shooting at me! :)
Way too many years in the military shooting the M16 and it's variants you would think my SHTF gun would be one. NOPE!
An AK47 and an AK74 are my go to weapons. Followed by my FNFAL!
That tank mechanic hit it on the head and built an icon.
"It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Gen. George Patton

1986-2014 Ordnance Corps RETIRED!
XVIII Airborne Corps Combat Affiliation
Go Ordnance!
1972 M151A2
1978 exMOD 109 Land Rover S3 (sold)
1942 WLA
M274 (sold) Big mistake. Sigh....

Motorcityman
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Unread post by Motorcityman » December 30th, 2013, 12:06 am

Are you the same whiterabbit on the akforum? RIP Kalashnikov

Col_R_E_Hogan
civilian

Unread post by Col_R_E_Hogan » May 19th, 2016, 8:30 am

I feel no sorrow for this commie fraud. The odds against Kalashnikov actually designing this weapon are astronomical.....We'll never know, but here are the facts:

Mikhail T. Kalashnikov was an uneducated Farmer, with no background in design or engineering. His big claim to fame was a horrible gun designed while he was injured in his tank.

There is no dispute about the similarity of the AK-47, and the MP-44 (Or StG-44 if you prefer)....The guns design, design elements, and operation principals were the same. Even the first model AK used a sheet metal receiver, which wasn't strong enough at the guns inception, and would not reappear until the guns redesign in 1957 The Automat Kalashnikova Modernizarovony (AKM)......So how did an uneducated tank driver design the best assault rifle ever, yet nothing good before or since? How as it so similar tot he MP-44?

Here's how:

The MP-44 was designed by Hugo Schmiesser, the man who wrongly got credit fort he MP-40 (Although he was responsible fort he MP-41).....Hugo Schmiesser was a talented designer with many innovations credited to himself......What happened to him after the end of WWII? He was captured by the Russians. He was sent home in 1952 while diagnosed as terminally ill, and died in Germany in 1953. What did the Russians do with him? What WOULD the Russians do with a talented gun designer that they essentially owned? They put him to work in a state sponsored machine shop building guns.....Guess which one. Yes, Kalashnikovs shop.

Given the fact that the designer of the MP-44 worked in that shop side by side with MK, and Kalashnikov had no experience designing guns, PLUS the Russians Penchant for stealing and copying technology, the answer is pretty clear to me who really designed the AK-47...

I had always hoped that Kalashnikov, on his death bed would tell the truth....He lived a long time...I waited a long time. Of course, even if he did, that information would never have left his hospital room, let alone the former Soviet Union, which is as close to the OLD Soviet Union as it ever was....lol....

Anyway, it bothers me that this man got credit for designing the best gun ever, when he in fact did not.