New Ruger SR22

Wanna give your mutt some teeth? This is the place.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

raymond
Major General
Major General

New Ruger SR22

Unread post by raymond » March 18th, 2016, 4:03 pm

Picked up a SR22 yesterday and just finished shooting it. Shot 1 box of 225 rounds. I bought the 4.5 inch barrel model, not the 3.5 inch model.

NOT ONE FAILURE TO FEED, FAILURE TO FIRE, OR FAILURE TO EJECT :!:

I was even shooting bulk Remington Golden Bullet. It even cycled the squib loads :shock: Seems the things I've read about it online about it being a rock solid 100% reliable pistol is true. I've never seen a .22 do that other than a revolver. I see now why some people even choose it for concealed carry. Not near as accurate as my High Standards or my Ruger Target pistols, but it's not supposed to be. I haven't bought a gun and been this excited after shooting it in decades.

Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

raymond
Major General
Major General

Re: New Ruger SR22

Unread post by raymond » March 19th, 2016, 10:00 am

Another thing, this pistol is WAY easier to disassemble and reassemble than any of the Ruger MK series of rimfire pistols.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » March 24th, 2016, 9:03 pm

In appearance, it reminds me of Walther's P22.... Looks like a lot of fun.

Matt

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » March 24th, 2016, 10:09 pm

About 600 round through it now and I don't have anything it won't shoot. It even shoots Remington Thunderbolt, aka Thunderdud shells. Those shells have the worst reputation of any .22LR ammunition made. I still haven't had a failure to fire, failure to feed, or failure to extract. NOT ONE. You'd think it was a revolver. Another interesting thing about this pistol is that unlike most rim fire pistols, it can be dry fired. The manual specifically states that with an empty chamber, and a magazine installed, it can be dry fired for practice with no harm to the firing pin or chamber. I was going to remove the magazine disconnect as it puts pressure on the trigger, but the trigger has really smoothed out. Plus, I've read that if you remove it, the magazines no longer drop free when pushing the magazine release button.
Raymond

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » May 11th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Just an update. I put up a couple more pallets in the gully by my house that I use as a pistol shooting range.
3 pallets at about a 110 degree spread.
I staple paper plates on them with a 1.5 inch red stick on spot.
Bought the shorter 3.5 inch Ruger SR22 and put a High Viz fiber optic front sight on.
Can now draw and put 2 rounds apiece in 5 plates on the three pallets scary fast.
Can put 10 rounds in a single paper plate as fast as I can pull the trigger.
Amazing what practice and about 3000 rounds of ammo in a short time can do for your shooting skills.
Fiber optic sight really help.
I like it so much I put a set of Williams Fire Sights on my Ruger Mk2 stainless "slabside" competition target mode.
Thinking about putting a set on a spare slide and putting them on the Makarov.
It is the only center fire pistol I can shoot with any accuracy rapid fire.
It weighs enough that follow up shots are very easy. But my eyes are such that I can't see the sights for that anymore.
Raymond