Final Resting Place - Pakistan

this is a spot to post pics of your favorite mutt cause you know we all like to look at them.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

rickf
General
General

Re: Final Resting Place - Pakistan

Unread post by rickf » September 18th, 2009, 6:44 am

Actually I did repeat but only once. I submitted at the same time as someone else and it did not go through so I hit it again. I guess the first one went through much later.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

Cobra5
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by Cobra5 » September 19th, 2009, 12:23 pm

WC Matt wrote:Hey fellas
I'm just wondering (or maybe, typing) aloud here but I wonder if any of those Mutts would be reimportable? I know that no US armor may come back in but not sure about soft skins. Another thing to consider here is that the military (DoD?) reclasified the M151 series of vehicles as "ordnance" with a demill requirment. So maybe not? I have no plans (oops I meant money) to attempt such an adventure, but it does make one think.
Matt
csmith imported one from Vietnam.

raymond
Major General
Major General

Unread post by raymond » September 19th, 2009, 12:34 pm

I think customs agents are stretched thin enough that they concentrate on more dangerous contraband than 30 or 40 year old jeeps.
Raymond

"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » September 19th, 2009, 1:26 pm

I agree, Cobra and Raymond have it right.

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » September 19th, 2009, 1:44 pm

Guys,
About shipping mutts from Pakistan, i checked with my forwarder and some customs agents, its possible!. The consensus was that if a military vehicle gets registered with Excise and Taxation Office (DMV) it becomes a civil vehicle and is not a MV any more. So one can export it freely without any problem. I am not sure about how much the Army's involvement is in this, Sarmad can you please check with any one about how much would the Army will be involved in this if its exported as i've said above, since you are from a long generation of proud service men.
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)
Muttless at the moment. :(
The Last Of Its Kind. A Ton Of American Steel.

WC Matt
Colonel
Colonel

Unread post by WC Matt » September 19th, 2009, 4:55 pm

Cobra5
I was thinking of that while I was finishing up my post. Not sure why I thought it wouldn't be posiable save for the Gov't wacky denill requirements.

Some stuff gets surplused out and other stuff gets chopped up. An example I can give is that the US M113 APC is an AFV that must be demilled to the point of scrap when the military is done with it. Same thing for the M548 cargo carrier, that uses the same running gear as the M113 but is not armored.
Matt

moose53
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by moose53 » September 19th, 2009, 11:42 pm

Since we have a mutt for sale here that was just brought back fron Vietnam, I'd say if it can come back from there, theres a way to bring one in from anywhere...

Jim
Zigzag50, Northeast51, KC2QDZ
MVPA # 30032 G838.org

--------------------------------------
1971 G838-M151A2 1966 G857-M416
1968 G748-M101A1 1976 G748-M116A1
1990 MEP-701A

--------------------------------------
Real jeeps have horizontal grille slots

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » September 20th, 2009, 1:00 pm

To the novice and or non restorer type the way those vehicles look they could be listed as metal or steel scrap. Sherwan, I was thinking about all the crazy laws (no worse than some of ours), but the civil- military issue in particular. The fact they are listed as civil vehicles’ would make the import even less difficult. As Jim stated precedent already has taken place with csmiths’ import.

Another thought, since they are not road worthy. Why would they have to be registered to begin with? Once again exported strictly as scrap.

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

sherwan_88
Major
Major

Unread post by sherwan_88 » September 20th, 2009, 6:57 pm

Floyd,
When the Army retires it vehicles, it expects it to be used in form for scrap or civil use, and the only equipment retired to civilians is trucks and jeeps.
When retired the Army specifically states LOCAL USE ONLY, which prohibits it to be exported. Exporting it as scrap is very hard, the scrap business is huge here and governed very tightly by the Government. When scrapping army stuff, one needs basically a license to scrap army equipment from the Army itself, for other equipment such as armored and other equipment the Army maintains it own setup for scrapping. The Army strictly controls its equipments disposable as much as they can.

Now there is a loop for a person using it in form of a road legal vehicle,
If a vehicle is registered into the local excise office, they have a lot of legal documentation done with Army, it takes about 90 Days. When completed, and the vehicle is registered with the excise office in the name of a person, it becomes a normal vehicle, and the owner has the right to do anything with the vehicle, export. that is because the Army has officially written it off from the books and no longer serves as retired Army equipment.

Basically, a person gets it transferred from the Army books to the civi books, and when in civi. one can pretty much do anything.
Sherwan

1982 M825 (Former)
Muttless at the moment. :(
The Last Of Its Kind. A Ton Of American Steel.

Floyd
Captain
Captain

Unread post by Floyd » September 21st, 2009, 8:24 pm

Sherwan: Thanks, that takes the mystery out of the whole thing.

Floyd
1961 M151
1967 M416
1988 M35A2C
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member

sarmadq
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread post by sarmadq » October 1st, 2009, 5:49 am

sherwan_88 wrote:Guys,
About shipping mutts from Pakistan, i checked with my forwarder and some customs agents, its possible!. The consensus was that if a military vehicle gets registered with Excise and Taxation Office (DMV) it becomes a civil vehicle and is not a MV any more. So one can export it freely without any problem. I am not sure about how much the Army's involvement is in this, Sarmad can you please check with any one about how much would the Army will be involved in this if its exported as i've said above, since you are from a long generation of proud service men.
Export of a vehicle is possible, export of scrap is NOT POSSIBLE AT ALL. There's a MUTT ready to be exported to Spain, here in Karachi & its taken 7 months so far yet no solution. Its not registered, the ARMY does not get involved in matters of 'retired' items. But the authorities do.
Will check up on the guy and see what happened, keep ya all posted.

Another one got sold to a Britisher a few days back, but he intends to keep it & use it here.
Sam
1983 M151A2 - M825
.....You gotta know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away, Know when to Run !
You don't count your money, sitting at the table
There'll be time enough for counting
When the deal is Done !......