Camping and MUTTing in the Santa Ritas

this is a spot to post pics of your favorite mutt cause you know we all like to look at them.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

Crusader_22
1st Sergeant
1st Sergeant

Camping and MUTTing in the Santa Ritas

Unread post by Crusader_22 » September 6th, 2010, 10:22 pm

Hey!

Just got back from a 2 day camping and offroading trip in the Santa Rita Mountains just north of Sonoita, AZ.

It is a really cool area, the elevation starts off as a rolling, hilly plateau covered in grasslands at around 4500 feet, (there is a local Pronghorn Antelope herd) then foothills and canyons up to the highest point, Mount Wrightston at around 9500 feet. The vegitation where I was (around 5500) is grassy, with scrub oak, Juniper, and a mix of desert plants.

There are hundreds of miles of offroad trails, more than I could do in a week! Some are just stub trails winding off the forest service roads up into the canyons and ridges to abandoned gold, silver, and copper mines. There are mineshafts and mine tailing piles everywhere. The area is very rich in minerals and much mining has gone on for a hundred years. There is also an abandoned mining camp to see, (Kentucky Camp) and beautiful scenery.

I had to repack a wheel bearing in the field, and got a flat just as I got back to town. But I knew I needed tires anyway...I was on borrowed time.

The weather was great, but got a soaking in a strong series of monsoon thunderstorms on the way out, and then got to change my brother's fuel filter in a POURING rain. Glad I brought ponchos. :lol:

Had a great time, and can't wait for the next trip! The last pic is me, dirty but happy.

Jeff

11 yrs Army NG, currently full time AH-64D Apache Longbow crewchief
Former 11B, 32 IN BDE, WIARNG "RED ARROW!" OIF 3 2005-2006
General know it all jerk 42 years and running.

SOLD 1971 AM General M151A2
SOLD 1966 USMC M416

toptiger
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Camping and MUTTing in the Santa Ritas

Unread post by toptiger » September 7th, 2010, 6:36 am

Looks like a great time, thanks for posting
Author M-151 MUTT, The Vietnam Jeep
Paper edition http://www.blurb.com/books/1646321
IOS ebook iBookstore: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id598605516
2 M151A2s, M416 trailer, M274A5 Mule,