Highest M 151 in Europe....?

this is a spot to post pics of your favorite mutt cause you know we all like to look at them.

Moderators: rickf, raymond, Mr. Recovery

MUTT Vet
Sergeant Major of the "G"
Sergeant Major of the "G"

Re: Highest M 151 in Europe....?

Unread post by MUTT Vet » September 24th, 2012, 10:36 am

Those are great pictures and that's a dream trek. I'm envious.

I was going to post some pics of my jeep up in the back country of Lincoln National Park on some goat trails but they would be kinda sad compared to these.
Eric
***My Jeep won a war, your CJ delivers my mail***
------------------------------------
AIR FORCE (1998-Present)
The American Legion
NRA, 1999 (#: 39234404)
MVPA (#: 34922)
------------------------------------
M151A2 super MUTT (stolen)
M151A2 regular MUTT (in works)
Harley Davidson WLA w/ sidecar
M-37 x 2

rickf
General
General

Unread post by rickf » September 24th, 2012, 12:03 pm

MUTT Vet wrote:Those are great pictures and that's a dream trek. I'm envious.

I was going to post some pics of my jeep up in the back country of Lincoln National Park on some goat trails but they would be kinda sad compared to these.
Post them anyway, We can,t go there but we can enjoy the pictures. I enjoy seeing all places people go.

Rick
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

csmith
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread post by csmith » September 24th, 2012, 10:53 pm

rickf wrote:
MUTT Vet wrote:Those are great pictures and that's a dream trek. I'm envious.

Post them anyway, We can,t go there but we can enjoy the pictures. I enjoy seeing all places people go.

Rick

Dito what RickF said :!:
1976 M151A2 4 Color Cammo Mutt, aquired August 09
1976 or 7? M151A2 "Miss Sandy" Driver, aquired May 2010
Former owner M151A2 "Miss Saigon" Vietnam Rescue Sold Sept 09
Fond appreciation for the M151 Breed!!

mwmutt
Corporal
Corporal

Unread post by mwmutt » October 2nd, 2012, 3:43 am

Hello european mutter,
I found your different mails about the project "M 151 convoy Alps 2013". Before entrance in the details and begin the discussion with everybody interested to participate, I wish precise the spirit in what I do that.

Since about 40 years, I am interested by the old ex US military jeeps owning two Willys MB and since 2000, a M151 A2. It's for the pleasure to drive offroad on trails in France and foreign countries like Tunisia and Morocco. Of course, I am interested by the story of these vehicles and the historic context (WW II,Vietnam war,etc.), but I do'nt participate to the commemoration in respect of the Veteran; In clear, I do'nt wear any uniform when I drive. In parallel, I am interested by the history of military fortification.

The trails where we drive are opened to everybody:walking hiker, off roadbiker, motorbiker, 4x4 and more recently motorquad !. All these users must have respect for a good cohabitation; it's not the Paris-Dakar... Since few years, the italian authority have regulate the traffic with some days closed to the mechanical vehicles. It's the case for the Pista dell Assietta(close to 4x4 on wednesday and saturday) and the Pass dell Sommeiller(close to 4x4: friday, saturday and sunday). We must be discret, particulary in France on some trails owned by cities/skying station, and with the autority of water/forest along some natural park like Mercantour; one of most important consequence is the number of vehicles ! I consider that the "grand maximum" is 5.

About the dates, the snow is the limit... in summer, the best time is from mid of june up to mid /end of september. For the intendance, we can do wild camping, bed and breakfast and hotel following your budget...and the meteo ! Now for the length of the trip, it's from one week from North to South and two weeks with return by trail (or 2/3 days by road ).

For answer to Horst, I think the best point for start a trip from North to South, is SUSA in Italy. here is an exemple of trail N to S between Italy and France ,
Days 1-2 (Italy):Pista dell Assietta(Susa), Forte Jafferau(Salbertran), Col du Sommeiler(Bardonnecchia)
Days 3-4 (France): Briançon(fort du Gondran, fort Croix de Bretagne), Col Izoard, Mont Dauphin,Risoul, forêt de Saluce, Tunnel du Parpaillon, Fort de Tournoux
Days 5-6 (France):Barcelonnette, Bayasse, Col de la Bonnette,St Sauveur de Tinée, St Martin de Vésubie, Col de Turini,Massif de l'Authion, Casterino.
Days 7-8 (Italy):Col de Tende, Fort Central, La Brigue,Monesi,Pigna, Ventimilla...The Sea and may be Farniente to under the Olive trees of Toptiger in Grasse...

Well, this is an exemple which is interesting because it's a mix between France and Italy. There is also the Only Italian Way for the return and some variant in the south of France...The famous Piste du Marguareis vial Col des Seigneurs along Italy near Tende, is helas, closed after a fallen rocks last year.

Well, the discussion is open !
Michel
P.S.: sorry for my english
"Freedom on wheels"
1970 AMG M151 A2
1995 MAZDA MX 5 NA